Nipping

My common goldfish (boodobo and boodoba) are at it again, only it seems serious because boodaba's tail looks like it has fin rot and boodabo seems like he's stressing her out. Should I be worried?

Thanks for any replies :heart

Since you say this is happening 'again', what did you do the first time to prevent this? Did the last time this happen sometime in the spring? It could be that one's a male and the other a female. Have you noticed any breeding 'stars' on your fishes gill covers?

If you end up needing to seperate your fish, do you have a spare or quarentine tank you could use? If you don't, you may be able to buy a tank divider to seperate the two until the problem is fixed, but I suppose adding a tank divider depends on how many fish you have and the size of your tank.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.

Well, my fish were just playing around and didnt damage each other so I left it alone. I have had my fish for at least a couple weeks, they are in the 100 gallon tank with my ranchu and my fantail. No Boodoba is not "fat".

I think I could manage to by a new quarintine tank, because in my current one right now, I am curing my friends celestial of ich.

Here are a few questions

How Long Have you Had the Fish?

How Big is the tank?

Is Boodaba fatter than usual?

What does that have to do with nipping? Just asking :huh:

Black Moorio's question's do have to do with nipping; if the tank was too small it might have been a territrial issue, and if one of your fish seemed larger than usual, it could be a she.

The tank's size sounds fine; have you noticed either of the commons nipping the others? Commons have been known to do nip other fish. A possiblitiy could be that you have a tank with all males or some males and young females. The fish that has been getting nipped may be a female and this could be the reason for the rough treatment.

If one fish is just upsetting your other common, I might remove her so she can recover, or probably remove him since he's causing the problems, and could be prone to do this to other fish. You might have to do this permantly, or divide the tank until another suggestion comes up from some other members.

Also, carefully watch her tail to be sure it doesn't get infected. There is medicines that you can apply that will help her tail heal, but I don't know any. I would post in the Disease and Treatment fourm as well; you might have some people who have had experiance with this before and know what medicines you sould use to prevent infection on her tail.

Archived