New Fish, But I'm Nervous

I just got a dojo and a black moor at this fish store. The black moor I am especially worried about. It's about 1 1/2 inches long not including tail, and it apparently jumped out of the bag when I was acclimiting it, and it got stuck in the filter tube. It has virtually no suction power, and there's a protective cage. It was just limply sitting there, sucked up against the filter intake tube. I got it off, of course, and now it's just half-heartedly swimming around. I don't think he was hurt, I think he's sick. The dojo is sitting on the bottom, which I suspect is normal for bottom feeding fish. Water conditions pristine, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate about 30. Is this a big problem? :unsure:

Guest VxShady

I'm wondering what the water conditions were like at the store if he jumped out of a bag of their water.

And yeah, dojo loaches just sit for a while. Is it just the one dojo? They like to be kept in groups of 3 or 4. Once they get comfortable they can get pretty wild though. But in a friendly way. They're fun to watch.

Guest VxShady

Dojo loaches are fine, but they are just happier in groups. I would post this in the disease section, though. It sounds like he's having some issues. Maybe SBD or a parasite or something.

Guest VxShady

Dojo's can burrow, so if you have gravel or anything he might be under there. They are also wonderful escape artists so check the floor. And they seem to find there way into filters a lot so look there. And they can be hard to see sometimes too in the plants. They'll hang from those. Especially if you have a spotted dojo. Mine are golden, and I chose golden so I can see them.

Guest VxShady

Hehehehe.. he's in there somewhere. They can go just about anywhere. So you have river rocks then? Could have gotten into some of the cracks or something. They're strong little guys. Don't underestimate them. They periodically like to redecorate my tank for me.

Any time you buy fish,you have to be aware of the PH differences in the LFS Water,and your tank at home.Sometimes there can be a huge difference,which will put them into shock.The best way to acclimate new fish is to add a little of your tank water, a little at a time, to their bag so that they can adjust to their new tank.As for Dojo's,I have ten of them.I can't tell you how many times I have thought one was missing or dead! :yikes As Sandy stated,"Don't underestimate them" They can be magicians at times! :lol: By the way,what is your PH in your tank?Maybe do a 20% water change,and if your little Moor still isn't feeling up to par,post a thread in the disease forum where more people are likely to see it.Good Luck!

Thanks. I found the dojo, under the gravel as you said. That's amazing! He's 4 inches long and thinner than a pencil, and the gravel pieces are this big:--------.

I tried to acclimate them exactly like you said, but the black moor just jumped out of the bag. Next thing I knew, he was stuck on the filter. Ph is 7.6 or close. The strip is really hard to read because it's like 3 different colors. I have some medicated food that I'm feeding all the rest of them. I hope that helps in case he has a bacterial infection.I changed 25% water yesterday. Should I still change it?

P.S. The black moor has got caught on the filter 3 times total today, only now he's just floating nowhere near the filter so I'm not worried about that anymore.

Guest sourmilknightmares

I would think about turning off the filter for a little. Are they in a quarenteen (sp?) tank? If not, think about moving them to one. Turning off the filter for just a little shouldn't hurt much. You tank should be big enough to where it wouldn't be depleted of oxygen in just a little time. Turning it off with help kill the current so your little Moor won't have to fight against it. If he's just really freaked out it will give him some time to calm down without having to fight against anything. Best wishes!

Thank you! I'll do that. I think he's a little stronger now. He's swimming around a bit. I hope he gets better. He's so cute! Like this big without his incredible

fins:------------. His fins are really great, that's why I chose him! :D

Oh, and one more thing: This is the last time I get anything from THAT store except golden dojos. Now that I think about it, they did have a lot of sick fish that had ich, and they didn't even know what it was! :rolleyes: Shoot. That was the only all fish store in my town. The dojo has such a personality, I think I'm going to call him Dennis. It's a pity that store was bad, though. They had some really awesome fish, even if they were sick. Maybe they will improve and I can get that white veiltail ryukin or fat red and white oranda with the magnificent head growth I saw there! :lol:

Guest VxShady

The dojo's definitely got pizzazz. Sometimes mine will chase my goldies around the tank, and its amazing how they stick right with them, right at their side like they're connected together. A lot of people when they see my dojo's doing that, think the dojo's attacking my goldy's. And I love how they just lounge.

Okay, bad news. I slept over at a friend's house yesterday, and when I came home my dad said the black moor was stuck on the filter this morning. He looks terrible. His fins are ripped up, his scales are missing, he's swimming even weaker and floating more. I don't think he has a chance of surviving. I really want to put him out of his misery for his sake, but my dad won't let me. He says wait and see what happens. I know what will happen. :cry1

Guest sourmilknightmares

Did the store have any sort of warranty on their fish? If so you might be able to get a different fishie to replace him if he does pass on. So sad!

Yeah, they did, I've been thinking of that, but it was a really bad warranty. If the fish dies within 72 hours and I bring a sample of tank water that tests as pristine, then I get half the purchase price back. <_<

Guest sourmilknightmares

Wow! That really is a crappy warranty! They even test your water! That's like saying, "Yeah, even though it was us who sold you a sick fish we're still only going to give you half the price." It's all a big scheme to get you to pay them more money!

I know! I was used to vvvv prices-- $5 for a good sized fish. I was not prepared for the price of $20 bucks for a common pleco! I just found out about this really good fish place my friend recommended that supplies local pet stores with fish. If they find one case of ich in a tank, they quarantine the whole bunch for a month. Now that's pretty good. :)

Guest VxShady

I really think you should post in the disease and diagnosis forum for the Moor so some one can see it and hopefully help.

Archived