Unusual Growing Bump On Goldie

Guest chunksta1985

Guest chunksta1985

I really need help with one of my goldies. About two days ago I noticed this bump under his scales just behind his left gill. I was a bit worried, but thought it might pass. It's completely under the skin so I don't see any tail (as in a parasite) or anything coming out of it. The scales are popped out in just that one area, so I know it's not dropsy. It's not red or odd colored, it's just a growing bump.

The tank this fish is in is a 55 gallon with two large hang on filters made for 30 to 60 gallon tanks. I probably do have too many fish in the tank, about 8, which includes an algae eater (the species which starts with a "p", I don't want to try and spell it) who is about 7 inches long. I do a water change about once every 2 to 3 weeks. All the other fish seem to be doing fine except for one or two which I have noticed scratching their sides on the gravel every once in awhile. I was thinking about doing a salt dip for those two today. I don't see any parasites on them, but I realize there may be something microscopic. One of those fish appears to have Hexamita, I believe that's how you spell it, but I'm not sure if it's just the natural progression and growth of his "wen". Any advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

I just quickly created a webpage today at http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/chunksta1985 so that I could post some pictures of my goldfish who are sick. I posted pictures of the fish I described above, Charlie, with the bump growing on his side and pictures of my black moor, Jose, who is currently suffering from Popeye. I was going to mention my concern over him in another post, but if any of you have good ideas on how to treat this I would appreciate it. He seems to have had popeye for about at least 3 months now.

Any help in regards to treatments, or advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!! I love my fishies! :)

-Molly My Webpage with just pictures of my fish

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Hi Chunksta.

I'm still new to all this goldfish stuff but it definately sounds like your "scratching" fish has an internal parasite. (Possible flukes).

To save you the hassle, you're gonna want to answer as many questions as you can about the water conditions. (Posted at the top Nitrite, Natrates, Ammonia, etc.)

The much more experienced people on this board will need that info to help you out. My suggestion would be a water change about 30-50% until someone else on the board can help you further.

Good Luck

~ Jessica

Guest chunksta1985

Thank you! Here is the actual link you should visit to see pictures of my sick goldies. I can't seem to get that webpage up and running. This is just a link to the gallery of my fish pictures.

http://www.angelfire.com/ns2/chunksta1985/...index.album?i=4

By the way, do you think i should do a salt dip for the ones who are scratching? Like maybe in a bucket of tank water or something? Thank you.

Guest chunksta1985

Another update, I have an ammonia test kit and I found only about .1 level for that test. I don't have a nitrate or nitrite test. The temperature of the tank is about 68 degrees. I feed my fish flake food, I probably could vary the diet more to help them. Also, the tank has been running since December

Guest Sacreligioushippie

First, I would slowly increase the tank temperature. That's supposed to aid in healing. Then you can either do a salt dip or a peroxide dip. The peroxide works better because the salt dip only eliminates 7 pathogens. If you go to "Goldfish Diseases" on the left side of Koko's homepage you can find out how to do both dips. It's listed under flukes. Also, "Goldfish Links", again on the left side of the homepage and click on Pure Gold. Go to Diseases and Treatments and theirs a list of how to do peroxide dips as well as other diseases.

To treat the tank, keep up with the water changes and maybe salt the tank .03%.

Try 1 tst per gallon (0.1%) then in another 12 hours repeating and another 12 hours, repeating again. Hopefully that's enough to treat the other guys.

Good luck! I hope they all feel better soon.

This is research Ranchugirl did on flukes and salt dips. It might help you.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=12696

Kok's Goldfish Diseases

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/disease.html

Pure Gold

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/disease.htm

~ Jessica

Guest chunksta1985

Thank you Jessia!

So you are thinking it's flukes on my one fish with the bump on the side of him or do you think that the ones who are scratching have them? Thanks for your help!

Guest Sacreligioushippie

The ones who are scratching most likely have flukes. As for the one with the bump, Charlie, it could also be something parasitic. Generally, water changes, warmer temps and some salt seem to do the trick for a lot of illnesses. I'd say give them a salt or peroxide dip and salt the tank .03%.

I'll try to find something specifically for Charlie.

~Jessica

Hi Molly. If that bump developed in just two days, you can safely rule out it's a slow-growing tumour!

At the speed it grew my best guess is it's a bacterial infection which would require antibiotic treatment. So I would suggest trying either antibiotic food, or a water-additive antibacterial like Myxazin.

Perhaps it's an infection brought on by the skin-flukes or whatever it is that's bothering your fish, so it may be best to treat for them as well to eliminate the possible cause. There's plenty of info available on treating skin parasites as Jessica's pointed out.

In the meantime, try and keep the water conditions as near perfect as possible. Good water is often the best medicine when it comes to helping the fish heal themselves and fight off infections!

Hope Charlie gets better! :)

Archived