Cleaning Magnets

JDMac2006

Does anyone use these? i am planning on getting one in about 2 weeks along with two more fish yay!(hopefully if they still have them a blue oranda and a red&white ryukin). but anyway i would like to know the brand and cost if you know if not no big deal just tell if you like it or not, the only brand that i know of is the mag-float one that obvioulsy floats (hence the name)...thanx for any imput :D

Guest Sapphyra

I recently tried out the floating magnets at work on our top row tanks, and they're really nice as far as getting the gunk off. They'd be awesome if they had some sort of sponge material on the edges to get the algae off of the corners.

I got one of those and, where as it works fairly well, it did not really get all the algae. I scubbed it and scrubbed it and it never really removed it all. It also does not clean corners. It will not clean the bottom of the tank, and, since I got a fairly large one, I have to be very very careful the the curious goldfish do not come anywhere near it. It clamps together so hard it could squish a fish it they were to come in between it and the glass.

Like a klutz, I managed to pinch a finger between them once and raised a blood blister. OW! I can imagine what it would do to a little fishy!

I am thinking of glueing a small white algae pad onto mine to see if it improves the work it will do.

Other wise, I have fastened a white algae pad to the end of a dowel rod that is the proper length for the tank. It is skinny enough that it goes behind the plants and filter inlets, and is slightly flexible so it smashes into the corners well. The pad cost about $1. and the rod is less.

Guest RanchLover2

I have one of those algae scraper/magnets. I think it does a great job getting the algae off of the side of the tank, but the back of the magnet is covered in algae (gross right?).

Just out of curiosity, has anyone used tank buddies algae remover? Its a tablet that you place in the water that cleans off the algae from tank walls, ornaments, plants, etc. I havent used it yet b/c I want to get some opinions first.

:hi

I've tried these and they seem to work ok. However I have gone back to the old way with a scruber. It just seems faster the old way, maybe its just me, but it really did. Sometimes I just get in that mood, "what else can I buy" and I think that was one of those moods. I've gotten a lot of valuable stuff but I also bought a lot of junk too.

Guest Bunnylee

The algae tabs did not work for me. Neither did otos. Neither did magnets. So I use the old elbow grease and a scrubber...Of course I am absolutely fanatical about getting every last bit off of the glass. Now the ornaments and bubble bar are another story entirely.....

Guest RanchLover2

Don't even let me go into the algae in my tank. I scrub that glass so well (with my magnet) algae doesnt have a chance. As for the bubble want and leaves, they are mess. But it's kind of cute, it gives my goldies a little something to nibble on.

:P

Yup - after the algae grows long enough on the bubble bar it is all fuzzy and green. Then the goldies munch down the bar just like eating corn in the cob. You can see little chomps down the line. It is rather cute to see. They keep it clean enough.

The glass is another matter. I split a new white algae pad in half so it is half as thick and cut it down so it is about 3/8 inch bigger around than the magnet. THen I glued it too the magnet surface that goes into the tank. FINALLY, this cleans the way I want it to, and, because it is slightly bigger than the magnet, I can get it to stuff into the corners and clean them squeaky clean. YEAH!!!!!!

Archived