Give My Fish Back To The Store

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

Okay, here is the story. I am having a REALLY hard time with one of my fish. I do love her, but taking care of her is taking almost all the joy out of being a goldfish owner. Sofi has chronic SBD, I struggled with this for a month or so trying different things. Then finally I found a rice recipe that seemed to help. But she is a small fish, about 2 and 1/2 inches with out tail. So I have to mush the rice up VERY good which is harder than you think, I have to almost cut each grain of rice into at least 3 pieces. And I add mashed peas to this as well which I also have to cut up into tiny peaces and mush in with the rice. I keep this mix in the fridge, but it goes bad within 3 days. So I am boiling rice and doing this whole procedure every 3 or 4 days. I have to feed that first and then feed soaked ProGold. Well that worked for about 3 weeks, but now it's not working anymore. In addition, she got some kind of infection in her bubbles that I have been unable to find ANY information on. First they got cloudy were I couldn't see there them. Now they have clumps of white stuff inside them from the cloudy stuff. (It started clumping after I salted the tank). Now her bubbles have tons of blood vessels showing over her bubbles, and the big clumps of stuff in them. And she is back to floating. I do NOT mind taking special care of my fish, and keeping the tank clean, doing water changes every 6 to 7 days. Feeding extras like peas and other things once a week. But taking care of Sofi, and the STRESS of trying to figure out what to do for her and if she is going to be okay...it is getting to be too much. I have dreams now that her back gets dried out from floating out of the water and she dies, or her bubbles burst and she dies. Tonight a thought crossed my mind....I kind of want to see if the pet store will take her back? I don't want my money back or anything, I just don't want to be this stressed out about my fish. I am not enjoying this very much anymore. And I want to at least have a little more enjoyment for what I am putting into it. Does this sound bad? Does anyone know if pet stores even do that? Or I guess too, does anyone one know what else I could possibly do for SBD or the infected bubbles?

Thanks for help/suggestions

Emily

PS If anyone wants to see the pictures of Sofi's Bubbles, I just added pics under Members Albums. Its on the very last page under Morten33

I agree the whole point of keeping fish is to enjoy them. With no hope in site of them ever getting better, the enjoyment goes out the window and it just becomes a laborious chore.

Unfortunately, your lfs may not take a sick fish (they only sell them, ha ha!).

Seriously, it does sound from your limited success with diet that it is an intestinal gut infection. The eye problem could be because once one infection takes place, it weakens their defence against others.

It is a very nice fish indeed so it would be a shame to lose it. So before you decide to take it to the lfs, may I suggest the epsom salt hospital tank treatment I used myself with success? I describe it in this thread here:

I bought an already flipped fish

All you'll need is some epsom salts and tetracyclene antibiotics (available from the lfs).

You don't actually need a hospital tank if you don't have one. Just a large enough plastic tub will do that can hold at least 20 to 40 litres, with some aeration. As you'll be replacing half the water twice a day (morning and evening, along with the epsoms and meds) you won't even need a filter.

It's only for a week, so if it doesn't work after 7 days, then you can decide to take your fish away. But it's at least worth a try before you do.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

Guest Morten33

Okay I will try that! I haven't done that yet, great idea! Yeah, I hate to give her away, but I do need to enjoy this a little bit. I will try the epsom salt.

thanks again!!!

Emily

Guest sourmilknightmares

The only thing to keep in mind is, if you do take her back to the best store she will, in all liklihood die. And chances are it won't be a pretty death.

I have a chronic swimbladder common. He's not too bad; he doesn't flip over. He does float a lot though. I stopped worrying about it. Nothing I did worked and he seems to live happily enough floating. I would worry about the bubbles first and then, if she doesn't seem to be suffering much due to her SBD problem I would just let nature takes its course on that one.

Keep the nitrates down in the tank as much as possible and go to a gel food. The gel food can be frozen and taken out as needed.

IMHO, I would feed some medicated food for 14 day's and treat with a antibiotic such as a maracyn 1 or 2 for the cloudy eye..... From the description this fish sounds very much like its got a internal bacterial infection which can cause problems.

http://koivet.com/html/articles/articles_d...7&name=Diseases

http://koivet.com/html/articles/articles_d...7&name=Diseases

http://koivet.com/html/articles/articles_d...h%20Information

More information for you! Oh, and do a search into the threads in the sick fish dept there also. Much can be learned from some of those as well....... :D

Definitely do NOT take her back to a pet store. Pet stores cannot afford to treat each and every sick or injured fish and more likely than not they are euthanized. Dont ask me how I know this.

Swim bladder is a chronic disorder in some fish. Thats the reality of keeping fancy goldfish, unfortunately. When we decide to keep them as pets we need to be prepared for that. They are extremely delicate, especially bubble eyes as they are one of the most specially bred fish. The further away you get from the natural form of goldfish, the more health problems they are going to have.

The cloudiness in the bubbles is a pretty common occurrence. Usually it is nothing serious and nothing to worry about and will clear up in good water quality.

Im wondering why you feed your fish rice? That is probably doing nothing to help the SBD. Rice can cause bloating which you definitely dont want. Only feed your fish very well soaked sinking pellets and thawed peas, like you have been.

Im sorry you are frustrated with fishkeeping but if you are not able to keep your fish and give her a good life, it would be best to find someone who can (not the petstore!!). Good luck.

Guest Morten33

Jsrtist - I found the rice recipe on THIS site actually. That is why I feed them the rice-mix. They said that when you "over" cook the rice it doesn?t expand any further. And actually it was the ONLY thing that helped for awhile. I have also suggested this to others with SBD problems with great results. But regardless I haven't fed the rice-mix in a few days now because it no longer helping.

In addition, I was not irresponsible and just went out and got some fish and didn't think ahead of what might be involved. My fish were a gift to me, I had no IDEA about goldfish, fancy goldfish, or ANY fish for that matter. They were given to my in a small bowl. So what I did was search the web and found this site so that I COULD take good care of my fish and give them a good home. I now have a tank, penguin filter, bubble stone. And I am cycling a brand new 46gal tank now to move them to. The water quality is pristine; I do water changes every 6 to 7 days and test the water before and after each change. Every day I use a turkey baster to suck out any poop after I feed them. This also helps to keep the tank as clean as possible. I take very special care of my fish, and I have enjoyed and taken pride of give very special care to my fish. But in addition to not planning on being a fish mom (which I?m glad I am) But I definitely didn't plan on worrying every day about my fish and having bad dreams about them. And not being able to go even 4 or 5 whole days just enjoying and caring for them with out worrying about the health of one of them, and if I?m doing all I can? I even noticed the other day that every time I go over to the tank I have stopped even looking at my other two fish. I just look at Sofi to see if she is okay and if there are any new changes or problems with her. This has been going on now for 60 something days. So that is why I did this post. I just was beginning to feel overwhelmed. So I was trying to think if there is a way out and to give her to a place that could take care of her. It had been a long day, and I was tired and at my whit?s end.

To the rest of you that have explained why it is not a good idea to take her back to the pet store, thank you. That totally makes sense that a store would not have time to take care of every sick fish. And she would most very likely end up dieing. So obviously I have decided that is NOT a good idea, not an option.

To "sourmilknightmares" Thank you so much for your post about just accepting the SBD and not worrying about it anymore. Like your fish, mine does not flip over or anything, she just floats to the top of the tank. But other than that she acts perfectly normal and happy. So maybe she just doesn?t know any different and doesn?t suffer because of it. So I will resolve to just let the stress about that go, which will at least help ME a lot! So thanks! Oh, and I will try the Gel food, sounds like I can make more of that and keep it in the freezer.

As for her bubbles, I am glad to hear the cloudy bubbles that have now turned into clumps inside the bubbles is normal Jsrtist. I looked all over the Diagnosis/treatment section on this site, and some people offered advice, but not one person had experienced it with any of their own fish. So I kind of felt like the suggestions where just guesses. And like I said, was unable to find any info specific to an infection with bubbles anywhere on the web. (I looked for days) So thank you for the links Tamianth!

So what I will try now for the bubbles is get some medicated food, and do the Epsom Salt in a separate tank. Should I do the antibiotics in there as well I?m assuming? Which is better maracyn or tetracycline, or does it matter?

Sorry this post is so long! :rolleyes:

Emily

Here are some pics of Sofi and my other two fish

SofisBub2.jpg

SofisBub3.jpg

MortNugg.jpg

MORT_Face.jpg

Nug.jpg

PrettyNugget.jpg

Guest Morten33

HOLY COW!!!! That was the first time I have attached pictures of my fish. I had NO IDEA those ones were so BIG. I'm sorry. If someone knows how to delete them please do. I am sure they will make it take a long time to open this page. ( I just went to photobucket and reduced the size of the photos so this won't happen again)

I skipped over alot of this while reading so i am not sure if this was tried, but have you tried putting the food in a blender to make a paste? This is whut i used to do to my fish, who has the same problem, and its quick and simple. I make the whole batch of food and put it in a blender, then put serving size portions in little pill cups (the ones labled monday teusday ect ect) then put the pill cups in the freezer, i dethaw and feed as nessecary, and if i go away, its not hard for any one to feed my fish.

Guest Morten33

Thank you, thats a good Idea. Right now i soak the ProGold pellets and then mash them up, basically like a paste. When they get bigger I will use a blender.

The pictures of Sofi and her infected bubbles arn't showing up on my earlier post. I think maybe because I did some editing to the pics at photobucket. And it also looks like the ones that ARE showing up are smaller now which is good. Before they took up the entire screen and you still couldn't see the whole pic.

I will add now Sofia's pic where you can see the stuff in her bubbles.

SofisBub3.jpg

SofisBub2.jpg

SofisBub1.jpg

what if you made a bunch of paste, froze it, and then defrosted when you need it? just an idea... i dont know if it would work.

I have a floater. i decided also not to worry about him.. he seems happy, even when the other "bouce" him.... he just tries to chase them around.. and he's with commons! (and STILL managers to get the most food.... the commons "wroship" him.. and fear him! lol!)

Beautiful fish! Sofi looks like she's swimming okay there. Sorry I have no experience with bubble-eyes so can't offer advice on her eyes.

Don't use medicated food and the epsom/antibiotic tank treatment at the same time. They are actually separate treatments. The food has antibiotics in it already. The epsoms are a purgative so the food would go straight through her anyway, which is why I added the antibiotics to the water instead.

Actually seeing the pics of Sofi now and how she's not flipped or anything, I would recommend just trying her on the medicated food first to see if that works before resorting to the more drastic epsom tank treatment.

Guest queentut

i just wanted to say that you have really gorgeous fish, and from what i can see in the picture, a really stunning tank too. i am sorry to hear about your problems with the bubble eye, but i can't help you. i hope things work out, i just wanted to comment on how nice they look. (good picture taking too!)

Guest Morten33

Yes, Sofi doesn?t flip and she only floats after I feed her until the next morning. So there are times in the morning or right after I first feed her that she isn't floating.

So from what you are saying I will just try the medicated food first. Yesterday I just decided not to worry about the floating and just gave her 1/2 a cut up pea before i went to bed. This morning she wasn't floating but there was the longest poop I have ever seen. It was about 4 inches long, and most of it was really thin. So that is a bacteria infection like you guys were saying right? I am going to get the medicated food today.

And thanks for complementing my fish, I think they are beautiful too! And my camera is sooooo cool, it makes the pictures look really good. And it makes my tank look cooler than it really is. I can't wait to set up my 46 gal tank and take pics of that!

Thanks again for everyone?s help!

Emily

Those are the cutest bubble-eyes I have ever seen! Really good pics!

I am very glad that you are choosing to not stress so much about the floating. You are obviously a great fish mom and doing every thing you can to help, so don't forget to enjoy your fish!! Most of the time getting started is somewhat hard, but after your tank has been going for a few months things start to settle down and you can relax more (in between water changes that is :rofl ). You'll love the 46 gallon tank too. The bigger the tank, the easier it should be to keep your water params right. Show us some pics when you get it all together. I'm sorry but I know nothing about the cloudiness in the eyes. I do have one little oranda who like to float around on her back every now and then but she doesn't seem bothered by it and rights herself easily. I just call her my little runt! :lol:

Archived