White Sprinkle

This evening, after I was done with my weekly water change, and was just admirring my goldies, I noticed this little spot on his fin. I wasnt sure if it was normal, so I just had to ask. Its on his back fins, on top, very close to his body. It looks like a white sprinkle. I tried to touch it, but he swam away too fast, and I didnt want to freak him out. Hes not acting funny at all, but didnt notice it yesturday, so I had to know what it could be.

Ammonia is 0ppm

nitrites is 0ppm

nitrates are 10ppm

There is only this one spot.

Ive had fish who had ick in the past, but although this sounds like ick, it really doesnt look much like ick. It looks kinda like it, but I really dont think thats what it is. Id have to get a picture of it, but im having a hard time getting it, because its kinda small. When my fish had ick before (and they passed on :cry1 ) the spots looked very much inbedded in their fins and scales. This look just like a little white sprinkle on the tippie top of his back fin. almost looks like it could just fall off, or isnt even attached.

hhmmm.... i havnt seen ick embedded on fish... maybe your fish had lice before? i dunno... maybe its a blister?

I guess ill have to just keep a good eye on it for awhile. Who knows, it might just go away. Ive never noticed anything like this on him before, but when I pointed out to my fiance, he said he had seen something similar months ago, and it went away. Ill keep trying to get a good shot of it.

Does it look like a tiny white spot on the dorsal fin edge? If it is try to give it a 1.5% for approx 10 mins and after wards the spot may dissappear and you will see a tiny rip like a Y shape on the bit where the spot used to be and it'll heal up in afew days :)

If not keep giving it a salt bath for 3 days then wait a day and do it again

Hope that helps :)

I've heard that occasionally the cartilge in the fins break, leaving a little white spot on the fin. This goes away after a little while, and a slight dent remains in the fish's fin afterwards. This has happened to my fish two or three times before. The spots aren't as round and protruding as ich, and don't really look like grains of salt.

A picture would really help in determining what it is. Best of luck with your fish!

The broken cartiledge happened to my fish too. As I was reading this thread that's exactly what I was thinking of. If it is localized, I would take the wait and see approach. Mine just went away on it's own.

Well that possibly could be what it is. It is on the edge of the fin also. But yesturday, i noticed it was like half the size it was when I noticed it, and today its barely noticable. So, I guess I might never know what it was, but im just glad it wasnt anything serious! Thanks everyone!

Archived