The New Candian Fish

Canadian goldfish enthusiests are trying to breed a goldfish thats red and white, and has its tail shaped like a maple leaf. Its still quite a project but whats happened so far is spectacular. The main breed for this project is the tosakin but culls from other breeds with the desirable traits are also wanted. They are looking for people to help with anything, even just be on the look-out for fish they can use. Whos heard of this? Does anyone breed for this project? I just heard of it and it sounds soooo cool.

Guest VxShady

That would definitely be quite an accomplishment and no doubt a pretty popular fish if they succeed.

I've never heard of it. Sounds like an interesting prospect in goldfish breeding though; that would be really cool if they are going to be able to do that! Where did you hear about this? I'm interested and would like to find out more!

Guest Esareh

I've seen red white and blue bettas, bred to do that.

EDIT: Ill post some pics as soon as i find it again... grrr.

The Canakin is a great name for the breed! Very pretty fish, as are the two bettas posted by Esarah.

Guest VxShady

Well the picture on that page looks pretty darn close.

And those bettas are beautiful. Wonder how I can get my hands on one, hmm?

That would be pretty cool to finally get a Canadian goldfish when they are finished. The one on that front page is beautiful enough as it is.

I'd be afraid of colour changing though.

I have heard of the project a while ago, and hope they are successful with it. The tosakin all by itself is a stunning fish, and with that particular coloration, WOW!

Here is the link to the Canadian Goldfish society, and more about the project.... :)

http://www.canadiangoldfish.com/canakin.htm

Guest Esareh

I want one. Thier so pretty.... I wonder if when they perfected it it would be sold in the U.S?

patriotbetta.jpg

325071[/snapback]

I hate to say this but I am pretty sure that these fish were not bred this way. They were probably dyed this way, by injection. For more information regarding breeds of fish that are often dyed check out www.deathbydyeing.com its a pretty informative site...

As for the Canakin (awesome name!) That is so cool. I hope they would sell them in the States too! I want one!!! :)

Guest PenelopeFish

I would be very interested in having some babies and raising them, but I don't think I would ever find an adult that they woud desire. That seems like a WHOLE LOT of work. Does anyone know how long this has been going on for?

PenelopeFish :heart

I dont know how long but I dont think theres a time limit on the project. Fish(and dogs for that matter) breeds are constantly being perfected. Theyll probably never be a "perfect" one so itll be non-stop. I think eventualy when they get a strain of what they want going they'll be sold in the US, but theyll probably be as hard as tosakins to find. Maybe even harder.

Archived