Choking Scare

Guest VxShady

Guest VxShady

Okay.. okay. <breaths> So I dropped a Hikari Algae Wafer into my tank for a snack. And one of my Ryukins, Peaches, who's no bigger then 2 inches without tail, just sucked up the entire thing into his mouth, plus a piece of gravel. I was in shock for a bit. Staring, waiting, hoping that he could chew it down a little bit. He managed to spit out the gravel, but he didn't seem to be getting anywhere with the wafer. So after waiting a few moments and hoping he'd work it out himself, cause I've never done anything like this before. I pulled out the tweezers, dove for him, held him right under water level and went in. He sat pretty well for it I was surprised. It felt like it was stuck on something, so I kept hesitating and pulling the tweezers out and regrabbing it cause I didn't know if I had a piece of his mouth or if he was just sucking really hard. Then finally I just pulled it out. He didn't even make a dent in the thing. I'm a little shaken, and I'm not sure if I did the right thing or if he could have handled it. But I didn't want to risk finding out. Do you think he'll be okay? He actually held his mouth open for me while the tweezers were in it. I didn't think his mouth was big enough to suck that thing up. I'm all shaky. <faints>

Oh I think you did the right thing. I'm sure that was scary! Those wafers are pretty hard and I don't know if he would've worked it out for himself or not. But good for you! :) My DH was watching the fish a few days ago and said that our black moor had a rock stuck in his mouth. We watched him for a few seconds to see if he could get it out and he finally did but he was really flicking himself around to get it out. I was saying somebody get the tweezers in case he needs help! It gets you scared for a bit.

Ive gotta get tweezers. Ive never even thought Id ever need them. And I know I probably have some lying around but i dont think I d find them in time. Good thing you got it out. I think22 be okay. Wow, I dod that to my dogs when they get into the garbage or eat something there not supposed to. Just wretch open theyre mouth and pull it out. I did that to my son one time out of habit and was he surprised. Again wow! Good for you. VxShady to the rescue!

Guest VxShady

Yeah I was sitting there looking back and forth from the tweezers to the fish.. tweezers to the fish.. thinkin "OH MY GOD I CAN'T DO THIS I'LL HURT HIM!" But then it was like "Okay, either I do this or he chokes to death so either way it doesn't really matter." He's moving his mouth quite a bit now. Mile a minute. But he's sifting through the rocks and swimming okay. He is so grounded. His mouth does NOT look big enough for one of those things. I'm in shock still! I'm going to have to grind them up from now on if I wanna give them to anybody.

:crp I've had that scare once,and believe me-once was enough! I remember watching my Moor & thinking,"Cmon now,spit it out".It got to the point though where you could just tell that he was losing the battle,and starting to panic.Long story short,we got it out of him but man was that nerve-wracking! :blink: Some of those algae wafer's(Wardley off hand) are very hard,& ever since that happened,depending on which fish in what tank,I will snap them in half. My bigger fish will inhale them whole,but the mid size fish are the ones I watch. :yeah: Tweezer's are definately something that I keep near by in my Medical Emergency kit for my fish.Glad things worked out for you! ;)

Guest Morten33

I had that happen to one of my bubbleEye fish, just with gravel. He had a big piece stuck in his mouth and couldn't get it out. It was like 11:45pm and I was freaking out. I tried calling emergency pet hospitals, one person kinda laughed at me. But none of them had someone to help with fish. Finally someone I called suggested the tweezers. He actually held still too and was just fine. But I on the other hand was shaking like a leaf afterward and my heart was pounding! Yes, I suggest everyone keep a pair of tweezers on hand.

Guest VxShady

Well he seems to be doing well now. He was up for the last "race", as I call it. Where as soon as I enter the room, if they're on the side of the tank farthest from the door they all seem to line up perfectly from top of the tank to bottom and see who can get to me the fastest. He didn't win, though. Snickers came in first. Peaches needs more training.

Guest calico4

That happend to my fantail. I took him out and put him in a little thing and he spat it out when he got in the little thing. It was freaking me out.

-calico

Guest queentut

does the fish's esophagus connect with its gills? i don't know much about fish anatomy, but how could stuck food interfere with the fish's breathing? i would have thought that the food would eventually break down in the water, but that the big problem would be having a lump in their digestive tract...

Guest VxShady

Well I don't know how it works! But with those wafers he could have had that jammed in there for quite some time. It couldn't have been comfortable.

I sort of had a scare like that......I always feed an assortment of food, pinch of flakes, pinch of crumbles,sometimes a little bit of chopped fresh spinach), and one or two shrimp pellets which I usually drop to the back while they are eating in the front so they can soften up. But the other day when I dropped in the two pellets Big Boy (my big Red Oranda....and my fav.) zipped over and gulpped one right down. I was glued to my tank trying to look for a sign of distress. Big Boy was fine....and after awhile I was too!

Now I am careful with the pellets!! :yeah:

Guest sourmilknightmares

Reasons why I have bare bottom tanks and soak all foods before they go in the tanks! I ain't takng any risks!

Wow do I know that feeling too! My orange oranda swallowed some gravel about a year ago in the middle of the night. She woke me up by thrashing all over the tank.

First thing I did was pick her up and shake her like a salt and pepper shaker. The stone flew out. But you could definitely tell by looking at the fish that it was in obvious distress before I could save the poor thing.

Hope you are feeling better... you're a life saver!

Guest barbie
:krazy: I am glad to hear your fish is better. These are pictures of Delmer, and the river rock he swallowed,I couldnt tell you how that big ol' rock got into a little bitty mouth.I was so afraid of hurting him I was not able to use the tweezers.They wre sharp, so I wrapped the edges in tape then had to get my hubby to pull out the rock while I held him. He held really still too. It was so scary because the rock was the same color as his insides and we had to keep stopping because it was so hard to get. When we finally realized it wasnt part of the fish we tried harder. I thought poor Delmer's jaw would break. He was turning colors whrer the rock was peseesd against his body. Tweezers are life savers.

post-2641-1115621919_thumb.jpg

post-2641-1115621989_thumb.jpg

post-2641-1115622090_thumb.jpg

Guest VxShady

Its like they're made of rubber!! :o

Well I'm glad everything worked out for everybody elses naughty little fishys as well.

I need to make a fishy first aid kit. Tweezers really are a life saver. Some one should make a list of things that should go in an emergency fishy first aid kit.

Archived