Black Moors

Roano

I've been thinking for awhile that I might get a Black Moor for my new 20 gal. aquarium. I plan to get one once I get things sorted out with my other inhabited tanks, and was wondering what kind of special care they need. I've read that they need to be with other slow or eye-handicaped fish, and I've also heard that their eyes can get injured and infected easily. Is there anymore important facts that need to be looked at when purchasing a Moor?

Yes, there is. :D

Look for a moor with even eyes (both the same size)

Try to get one with as much of their belly being black as possible.

And the MOST important thing of all, quarentine period. In my opinion, you should automatically assume that it has parasites. Bring the salinity up to 0.3% over 3 days time (0.1% a day) and medicate with praziquantel as per the instructions in the treatment section for flukes. In doing this, you should be able to kill off any bad bugs it brought in with it.

Other than that, other slow moving fish (or sight impaired) should be kept with it (if any). Do not keep caves or ornaments that it could get its eyes stuck/wedged in/on. Sparce ornaments and lots of silk plants is a good setup for telescopes and the like.

Hope this helps! :)

be on the look out for ANY cloudyness in the eyes WHAT SO EVER!! in my experiance, cloudy eye is a pain, and rampant throughout moors! (atleast from our supplier at work!) we just quit ordering them for now... it was that bad

Archived