More Than One

goldygal

I know you all say that one goldfish per 10 gal of water. Does this hold true for all the specialty goldfish out there?

Is there any kind of goldfish that you can have 2 of in a 10 gal tank?

:D

I think the "rule" applies to them all. Except commons and the bigger fish they need even more room of course. But the least I have heard recommened for the fancy variety is 10 gallons per fish. :)

Hi there. :D

To be quite honest with you, not likely.

All goldfish, providing they are well taken care of get to be at least 4-6 inches in body length (excluding tail). I have yet to see one that didn't (unless severly stunted from being in a bowl). In fact, ANY goldfish that gets 6 inches or more in body length needs to be transferred to a larger tank so that it can continue to grow out. Besides, once a fish is that big, a ten gallon tank looks more like a bowl than a tank. I think you will agree when your goldfish gets that big......... ;)

Paul

In the mag Tropical Fish Hobbiest one dude(cant remember name) who breeds fish did an experiment. He put 50(count em-ya FIFTY!) discus in a 5 gallon tank. Then he put another 50 in a much larger tank. He changed the water like a mad man(i forget but i think it was at least 200%/day) in the 5 gallon and MUCH MUCH less in the bigger one. He fed them the same and what not. The ones in the 5 gallon grew faster and to full size(although I bet they were a bit squashed-all for science though) and the others grew to full size but much slower. So you can but I wouldnt unless ur planning on doing massive water changes. And goldies need room to swim. So keep to the 10 gal/ goldie "rule". I prefer much more room but thats me. And I use rubbermaids too. Goldies were always meant to be viewed from above. You could start them off in a ten gallon but should move them when they are bigger. Oh and one last thing, have you heard about Bruce the Giant Goldfish? http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/BruceTheGiant.html one foot. 10 gallons couldnt hold half of him.

I know you all say that one goldfish per 10 gal of water. Does this hold true for all the specialty goldfish out there?

Is there any kind of goldfish that you can have 2 of in a 10 gal tank?

:D

324788[/snapback]

Well,we wish it was true,but it's not! :rolleyes: Last year around this time,I got a baby goldfish off another member when it was about 12 weeks old-very little goldie baby.Well,she just got done celebrating her 1st birthday,and I measured her,and she was 8 inches big!!!! :yikes Eight inches wouldn't be too bad if it was just a long flowing tail,but I'll tell you that the body part of her totally fills my open hand so she's not only long,she's thick! I have her in a 30 gal long with her two brother's who are alot smaller than her by the way,and the tank almost looks crowded.People don't realize just how big these fish can get,& how important it is not to overstock,until you see my baby Oranda being 8 inches in 1 year.

considering the smallest goldies get about 10" long... i think its an understatement.

as far as coldwater fish in general, white clouds and rosey red minnows both could have groups in a 10. but their not goldies!

I really wouldnt get another goldie, enless you plan on getting a much bigger tank very soon. I would just wait, entil you do upgrade (if ever) and then get another. I had 1 common in a ten gallon for over a year or so, and he got HUGE! He filled it out so much, that if I were to put even a baby goldie in, it would have looked like too much. He then went into a 30 G, with two other friends, and he got so much bigger that him alone in that tank looked like alot.

oh ya, and not enough room will deform your fish. my friend has a 15 year old common who's 12" long, but with a hump, because she lived in a 10 alone for 5 years.... its weird, her spine is all round...

:yeah: Wow, Dev......Where did you get such a baby goldie!! I would love to start with such a new born.....(ah...new-hatched??)

Archived