Common's Sides All Scraped Up

My two common goldfish have patches of missing scales on both sides. I never see them scraping against anything, but I think that's what it might be because my fancy shows no signs of it. They're in the same tank. At first I thought it was ammonia burn, but ammonia is now at 0 and has been for weeks and the scratches haven't even started turning black. What could this be? :unsure:

Danielle, commons, as well as shubunkins and commets, are generally a bit more "rumbunctious" than the fancy kinds. Is there anything in the tank they could have run into - fake plants with rough edged leaves, ornaments? I take it there isn't any pleco in your tank, right?

I have an 8" common in with a 7" fantail. Like Ranchugirl said the commons are very rumbunctious. I find scales missing, scratch on the head, etc. This especially happens when they are spawning. I have a plastic log in there but I have ground off the sharp edges, and silk plants but he still gets roughed up. He heals but the missing scales seem to take a really long time to grow back, but they always do. He also love to splash water on me too. :D

No, Andrea, I don't have a pleco. I do have a piece of plastic driftwood, but it doesn't have any sharp edges. He likes to hang out in the area between there and the back of the tank, so maybe he's scraped himself there. Thanks for the replies. I'm actually planning to go out and get a rubbernose pleco tomorrow. Do you think it could cause any problems? :unsure: Once again, thanks much for your quick replies. ^_^

:) You are welcome!

I don't think a rubbernose is a problem. If I remember right, he is listed in the "compatible fish" section as acceptable.

With good water, scales will grow back eventually, it just takes time. That isn't the fastest process in the world... :)

Archived