Reddening Goldfish(vein-like Lines In Fins)

Guest cityscapes

Guest cityscapes

I've been raising goldfish since I was 6, and I've never had this problem before. One of my white goldfish seems to be turning red. On his fins there looks like red lines that look like veins. Red is forming up above his eyes and there seems to be blotches of red al over his top fin. I know it's not a simple color change because his right eye greyed up and was red all around. He seems to be getting redder by the day.

Now he's always had a orange spot, that's just his color. But he was always white everywhere else, now he's just getting redder and redder by the day with these weird vein-like lines on his fins. I had a couple of young shubunkins and comments in there but they were a bit too playful with my older bigger fish so I took them out. I also started feeding them oranges but I stopped that a couple of days ago and the redding hasnt stopped yet.

I've had this fish for about 4 years and I've never had this problem before with any of my fish. He's in a yellow Q-tank.

Pictures here.

(The areas that are circled are the redding spots. They used to be white. What are they?)

sdfsdfdsafsf.JPGPlease help me.

[Edit] Excuse this. But they appear to be red bloody-looking streaks.

Oooh, sweetheart, it don't look good. Your fish has an internal infection and these are the external symptoms you can see. Don't panic because it doesn't look like it's going to die anytime in the short term.

There are treatments available that work when caught in the early stages but to advise about the appropriate treatment we need to know what caused the infection. Please answer as many of the questions you can in the questionaire at the top of the page. In particular we need to know your tank size, how many fish, and your water readings (from the tank).

Test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes are available at most pet stores. Most pet stores will test your water for free if you take them a sample of water. We need to know the actual readings though, not just "good" or "bad".

In the meantime, before you do anything else I suggest you change 30% of your tank water. Most problems like these are caused by water conditions.

Guest cityscapes

Alright Thanks. Though I have to wait till this evening to take a sample to my local vvvv. I will do that once my friend arrives.

When you go to vvvv just be vague and say your fish don't seem well - lethargic, etc. I'm just worried if you tell them the whole story they might try to sell you something to treat your fish. Of course they may give you good advice but from what I've read here (countless times) their advice is not always reliable.

Guest cityscapes

Blah. As of right now I'm not sure if things are getting better or worse.

I went to the mmm and described to the fish guy my fishes problem. He advised me to purchase these pills (Who would have guessed huh) which are called Triple Sulfa. These pills treat these type of diseases:

1) Bacterial Hemorrhagic Septicemia

2) Bacterial Fin & Tail Rot

3) Cotton Mouth Disease

4) Body Slime & Eye Cloud

After I told him my fishes symptoms, he described the effects as if he saw my fish, so I was convinced and bought the pills. I also bought a filter for the smaller fish. Later that night, I changed the water, took a small out for testing, and added fresh new water and dechlorinated it.

I added two pills, as directed, and waited. The next morning it seemed as if the fish was doing okay. Yesterday, I did the same, 24 hours went by, he seems okay. This morning, he's moving around, but his movement is very wobbly. I fear he may die, his fins are now completely red, but some of the red has disappeared on his sides. The thing that concerns me right now is the other fishes reactions to the medication. My biggest one (Almost 6 inches) is just sitting at the bottom, not doing much, and isnt eating. Also, my other red one, isnt eating, but is active.

What's wrong with them? Could it be the reaction the medication or just the diease spreading. I'm very confused.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers to the questions

What kind of Filtration?

Penguin Bio Wheel

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

Chlor-Out Water Conditioner

Ick-away

Triple Sulfa (For the treatmeant of several fish diseases

10 Gallon tank

Wardley Goldfish Flakes

Fed Peice of Orange

Added Some young fish, but took them out because they were 'picking' at the biggest fish

Top cover of tank was kind of dirty, cleaned that.

Hi cityscapes - did you ask them to test your water parameters while there? As Annette says, it's hard to help you without ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.... Ask them to write it down for you and then post back asap.

I really hate to say this but you are medicating with some strong chemicals and if it was simply an issue with your water, then your fish have the burden of water quality issues and now strong meds...

If you can, try to get the answers to the above and then take it from there :D

how many fish and sizes of them do you normally keep in the 10 gallon? i would think you are way overstocked. you can only keep one fancy shaped goldfish in that size tank.

your goldfish need around 20 gallons each and the fish has septicemia because the water quality will be very poor.

can you get some rubbermaids to house the fish in just now with clean dechlorinated tap water? geting them in to fresh water is better than adding the meds.

filtration is essential too, with 10x the capacity of the container you keep them in.

Guest cityscapes

Alright. Here's the status so far.

Yes, Whitey (The one pictured above) has died. R.I.P 2002-2005. The other fish began to slow down, he's my biggest and oldest of them all. He's about 6 inches and white. I call him Bigone, since he's the biggest Comet I've ever had. He started to slow down and stay at the bottom, while Red, my long tailed Goldfish (about 3 inches) seemed to be alright.

But the thing is, none of them were eating, and they were pooping very litte. I was considering constipation but it wouldnt explain this very odd smell that was coming out of the water. Finally one pooped, but it was a dim white and it was very little. So I'm assuming somethings really wrong now. I take the water in and the lady says it's fine. (She doesnt give me details but I assume when she says 'fine', she means all levels of nitrites, nitrates, ammonia ect are fine.

She advises that I buy some goldfish salt to bathe them in. I buy it, along with some premium goldfish sinking food, and GoldFish Total premium fish food. I put in the salt as soon as I get home. Now the next day Bigone is doing a little bitter, he's now advanced to swimming mid-level to top instead of bottom. He's still not eating. I beleive the problem is because his lip is swollen, as it appears. Every now and then he'd start spazzing and start drastically swim in different directions, smashing into the gravel and fake plants. I'm worried about him. He's doing fine now, but he's not eating and I cant' tell if the swelling is going down.

Man, this disease really messed up my fish. I'm not buying and adding new fish, for a while. Maybe even ever.

Edit: The Tank is clear as crystal yet there is this very disturbing smell protruding out of the tank. Any idea what it is? :S.I cleaned it earlier this week and the fish are in their current condition mentioned above.

Hi cityscapes - i'm so sorry to hear about Whitey - that's so sad :( How are your other guys doing? Is the salt helping at all? If they're doing poorly, not eating and their poop is kind of long, white and stringy, it could mean a bacterial infection. Hopefully the salt is doing some good otherwise, it may be time to get something a little stronger.

When you say strong smell - do you mean a kind of rotten egg smell? A healthy tank should smell earthy but if you smell anything like rotten eggs this is due to hydrogen sulfide which is very toxic. Can you check their gills to see if they're a healthy blood red? Hydrogen sulfide poisoning turns gills brown and this could be part of the problem....

My suggestion would be to do several small waterchanges until the smell goes away and hopefully this may help your fish also.

Please post back soon :)

Guest cityscapes

Hello Jen.

The Salt I put it seems to be working. Bigone has since become a little more active, but I havent' seen him eat. It's been two weeks, now I'm out of the house (due to school and other things) and I may not even see him eat. I also feed my fish at night so he might have eaten then, but I, myself, have not seen him eat.

Red is eating and is pooping, they're long but not white. So I'm hoping I've caught the bacterial infection early with these two. I' change the water at least 45 % percent each week. The smell isnt so rotten egg-ish, more of a soury-tinge kind of. The smell is dying down though because last week I'd walk in my room and smell it, now I cant.

Thank you!

P.S I have a question that's kind of off subject :) . If your goldfish has turned white due to lighting and other things, is it capable of turning back to it's gold colors if you put them in a more luminated area?

That's great news :D and i hope they continue to improve. As for the colouring - well I believe it's fairly common when fish literally change colour, either all over or just parts of their body. It seems the most common is when previously coloured fish turn white. Skin colouring can be a bit complex as their skin contains different types of pigment cells or chromatophores, which are under the control of their hormonal and nervous systems.

Diseased fish often change colour, though that's usually fading, darkening, or dulling rather than an actual colour change. The most common causes are either nutritional deficiencies, so you could try a change of diet, water chemistry such as pH or hardness, or simply genetics. Your fish may appear healthy - apart from the colour change - and eat and swim normally. So apart from perhaps changing their diet and checking your water parameters i believe there's not a lot that can be done to reverse it.

Hope this helps :D

Archived