Could You Identify My Fish

Guest golden_goldy93

It is a lionhead but it doesn't look like a red lionhead. Maybe it is red and white.

It is a bit hard to tell the difference between a ranchu and a lionhead, especially when fish are young.

A ranchu has a bit more of a "tail tuck" than your Precious (great name!). So I would say you have a lionhead who is young and hasn't yet developed a wen.

Frenchie is beautiful!!!! What wonderful fins!

:heart

Guest lenny165

It's a no wen ranchu I've learned from this forum. I have two calico ranchu's they are so cute, but have to be watched for that swim bladder problem. My no eye fish is a ranchu and I have to feed her floating food so she can find it but if you feed to much they tend to float alot. They are beautiful tho :heart

yea, I have a wenless lionhead... Is a Lionhead and a Ranchu the same?

324956[/snapback]

Nope they are not the same...

Lionheads - Chinese dorsal less fish, the chinese developed the big wened ones with less curved back.

Ranchus - Japannes dorsal less fish, the japannes developed the less big wened ones with more curved back.

:)

Guest calico4

yeah it looks like a ranchu, but wow they are sooo pretty. I have never seen andthing soo pretty. :heart

-calico

I'm with Nancy on this one.... my vote is lionhead with no wen..... or you could just call him a "lionchu". That's what I call my Herbie since can't tell if he's ranchu or lionhead. :D

Great looking fish you have there! And talk about perfect camera shots! You are a great photographer!

Precious is gorgeous. Sorry I have no opinion on the type of fish because I haven't been familiar with lionheads and ranchu's. Just wanted to comment on your beauties!

Most goldies that end up in pet stores are not one type or the other but rather mixes. So its likely that your fish is somewhere between a lionhead and ranchu. She is pretty, either way!

• Admin

From that shot I would have to go with the American version on the Ranchu.....The LionChu.....Which means not that much of a tail tuck and not any head growth to it at all :D

Great looking fish though :heart

Archived