Sick Fish

My ranchu Dale is sick again :( I found him lying on his side last night breathing heavy.He has some red spots that resembles ich,only they are red.He was fine yesterday morning with no unusual behaviour at all.I didn't notice him flashing or scratching either.There is no cloudiness on his eyes and no excess slime coat.

I gave him a 1% salt bath last night and his tank is salted at 0.3%.I also tried to feed him pellets soaked in meds,but he didn't eat.I will be giving him his second salt bath today.He is able to upright himself as of this morning but stays at the surface.I can't think of anything more I can do for him.I just hope he pulls through this.Thank you.

Hiya. :)

Sounds like costia or flukes for sure. Sorry your seeing this again.... :crp

Increase his aeration if you can. Keeping the tank filled to the max will allow the filters to flow freely across the surface. Extra aerators (of course).

Keep offering food. Treats like bloodworms are hard to ignore.

Keep it up with the salt baths.

Well, I probably already covered this with you before but, what parasite meds do you have available to you? Your going to need one that handles ciliated protozoans (malachite green/formalin or acriflavin/victoria green etc.).

Is he in a tank with other fish?

Hopefully we can help you knock these nasties out once and for all.......... :unsure:

Paul

I'm so sorry, Cathy. Are your fry still in the same tank? Have you found out something about your water yet?

I'm so sorry, Cathy. Are your fry still in the same tank? Have you found out something about your water yet?

324874[/snapback]

Thank you Anette :)

Yes my frys are still with him and chip too.I took the ranchus back inside after a few days that I put them outside :( Very good friends are still working out my water problems.

Thank you toothless :)

How many times should I do salt bath?I just did his second today.I will try to feed him bloodworms and see if he eats some.

He is with another ranchu and 2 of my 6 month old frys and 2 rubberlip plecos.I have malachite green that I could use.....

He's pretty much the same :( He seems to float at the surface if not supported with something so he stays under the filter or under the bubble wall.Hasn't eaten either though I gave them bloodworms tonight.I really don't know how else I can help him :(

I'm so sorry about this. It must be horrible to have so much sickness. I wonder how Shio Chan and Baby Boh are doing. You wrote about them earlier.

What % are the dips you are giving him? How long is he staying in the dip? Can you describe his actions when in the dip and the visual cues for you removing him?

For 3% dips, you shouldn't fo for more than 3 in a row. After 3 dips, break for a couple days and them resume with 3 more dips.

So, is malachite green the only parasite med you can find locally? How about online, can you order meds online or anything? Any chance of praziquantel and/or parasite clear?

Have you seen him flashing or scratching on any objects (at all)?

Wow, so you've got fry in that tank too, huh? Sounds like your going to have to get a hospital tank going. Otherwise, the fry could easily fall ill to any treatments you are going to try. At least, in full doses anyway. If you do separate them, you might need to medicate th tank with the fry too. Just use half strength (with whatever meds) and pay special attention for the first couple hours.

Once you get the H-tank going, go ahead and medicate him with malachite green and hit him with salt dips. Forego the salt in the tank here. Instead, perform very large waterchanges daily and ad back fresh MG.

As I mentioned before, you might want to think about medicating the fry with half strength. But, that is entirely up to you.

Good luck with them and post back soon....... :unsure:

I did 1% salt dip 2 times now and at first,he acts weird swimming backwards but settles down after a while.He would stop moving after that and usually tilt over after 10 minutes so that is the time that I take him out.

My hospital tank is currently occupied and I don't have a cycled tank that I could use but I could set up a tank for the frys anytime.Will it be bad if I put the frys in a uncycled tank?

He was perfectly fine all the time with no flashing at all and was very active the day before I found him lying on his side.It was really a shock when I found him.

He's not doing better and stays at the surface now,tilted a bit on his left side,not able to swim.

111-1160_AUT.jpg

I doubt that I can get praziquantel here but I could try to find something that is close to it maybe?What type of meds should I be looking for?I have one with oxolinic acid that I could also use.

Thank you very much for the great advice.I really appreciate it :)

Try upping the salt dip to 2% and if he handles it well, try 3%. Remember, no longer than 5 minutes for the 3% dip. For the 2% dip, you can go up to 7-8 minutes. You know the cues for removal so, he is in good hands there.

Ok, since you never saw any flashing or scratching, this might not be a parasite. Instead, he may have fallen prey to bacterial gill infection. some good waterborne meds are going to be needed.

Can you find furan two tablets or any furan containing drugs?

How about some triple sulfa powder?

Here's a list of synonyms for benzalkonium chloride:

Benzalkonium Chloride:

Alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chlorides;

Zephiran chloride ®;

Alkyldimethyl quaternary ammonium chlorides;

Hyamine 3500;

Here's a list of synonyms for Cloramines T:

Chloramine T trihydrate for synthesis;

Chloramine-T;

N-Chloro-4-toluenesulfonamide sodium salt;

Tosylchloramide sodium;

N-Chloro-p-toluenesulphonamide sodium salt trihydrate;

Chloramine-T, Sodium salt;

Chloramine-T, 98%;

chloramine t gr 99%

And just for good measure, here's a list of synonyms for praziquantel:

Biltricide, Caniquantel, Cesol, Cestocur, Droncit

I highly suggest that you research these terms for local sources (or online ordering). You might just luck out and find one of the first two. If you do, I believe it to be your best shot. Of course, the couple of meds I suggested at the top should be sought after too.

Since This does not seem to be a parasitic infestation, you should treat your sick one in a separate tank/bin throughout all of this. His water is going to need to be changed out every single day. The use of ammo-chips as a substrate in his tank will help keep ammonia at bay (as will using ammo-lock or prime).

Other than that, I wish there were more that I could say or do..... :unsure:

Poast back soon.

I'm sorry you lost him. To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to last this long. When you see a fish laying on its side, more often than not, it is on its way out. :crp

Keep a real close eye on everyone else in the tank for a while. At the first sight of anything wrong, post back and we'll do whatever we can for you.

In the meantime, you would do good to research what drugs are available to you. Keep each source chronicled so that you can quickly obtain it if necessary. Even if you never have anything happen like this again, at least you will be prepared, you know? :huh:

Again, I'm very sorry you lost him. :cry1

Thank you toothless...At the time,his tankmates are doing good with no unusual behavior.Tank is currently salted 0.3% and heated at 26*C.I will do the research on meds available here and see if I can find anything more.

Jen,thank you too.You have been great helping me out and I can't thank you enough :hug

Thank you too Annette :hug

Found a med for bacterial infection online.It's the only med for bacterial infection.

Green F Gold

Nitrofurazone 5.0 g/10.5 g

Sulfamerazine sodium 5.0 g/10.5 g

Other meds are:

Parazan D

oxophosphoric acid 50 mg/1 ml

Tropical N

Trichlorfon 1 g/10 g

Acrynol 0.2 g/10 g

Sodium chloride 8.8 g/10 g

Refish

Trichlorfon 1.5 g/10 g

Hydrochloric acid chlorhexidine 0.12 g/10 g

Sodium chloride 8.33 g/10 g

Green F gold liquid

oxophosphoric acid 500 mg/100 ml

Green F

Methylene blue 0.1 g

nitrofurazone 0.6 g

sodium chloride 9.3 g

So far,these are all the meds available.

I posted last night about my fish and said that they are doing good.This morning,my other ranchu Chip,is slightly tilted on her side floating.She keeps opening and closing her mouth like she can't breathe.I examined her and she has the same red spots on her fins.I know that it's just a matter of time before she gets worse and die but I am giving her a 2% salt bath and see how it goes from there.Thank you

Aww, man, something this fast just has to be parasitic in nature.

Actualy, EVEry one of the meds you listed above are actually centered around bacterial infections. Very few of them actually do much for parasites other than provide sodium chloride (salt). The best one you have available to you is the tropical N (trichlorfon is good for treating flyukes, lernea, anchor owrm and ergasilus. Unfortunately, it does not treat microscopic parasites like costia, chilodonella and trichodina. Salt usually does this fine.

Again, beyond the 0.3% salt solution in the water and the salt dips, your best bet would be to go ahead and get some tropical N (maybe overnight air?).

Try the salt dips at 1.5% or 3%. I feel that any lesser a salinity just makes them less succeptable to salt (whatever it is).

Have you tried looking up chemical supply companies for the benzalkonium or the chloramines T?

Post back soon. :unsure:

Oh no :cry1 I found my rubberlip pleco sucking on her body.Does this mean she's dying?She doesn't look very good :( I'm preparing her salt bath at 2% now.Do you think she can handle a 3% dip?She is a small fish about 2 inches.I'm gonna go get the meds after her dip and see if I can find benzalkonium and chloramines T.I hope she makes it until I get back :cry1

Hmmm, honestly, I think it would be best if you put her down. :crp

She sounds as though she is on her way out and it would be best if you were to end her struggle in a more dignified manner than letting her die like this. I am truly sorry to suggest this to you (I almost never do).

If you like, you could try a 1.5% dip but it might just do her in. Salt, although a wonder drug, tends to be very harsh on fish that are laying over on their sides. If she doesn't do well in the dip, I would go ahead and get some oil of cloves and dose her with it til she is knocked out, then place her in the freezer until, well, you know............

As for any of the other fish in the tank is concerned, medicate them immediately with whatever parasite meds you can find. Especially any that boast to kill ciliated parasites. But keep in mind that you already have salt in the tank, Anything that contains sodium chloride will raise the salinity even higher. so, you will have to discontinue the salt.

Again, I'm sorry your going through this. :cry1

Okay,I was about to give her the dip and I noticed that her scales are raised :cry1 Maybe you're right,I should put her down and not let her suffer anymore.

Thank you very much for the help and support.I'm gonna go get the meds now.

I'm back...she's still breathing but barely :( I got an anesthetic eugenol(0.107 g)

I'll just have to calm down now and make myself do this. :cry1

Archived