Oranda Has Neurological Disorder?

Guest Bluefish

Guest Bluefish

My Oranda has been having trouble swimming and now he can no longer swim with out sinking to the bottom of the top of the tank. I recently introduced new fish into the tank and one of the fish died. Did he get this disorder from that fish and if so is there anything that I can do to save him? I've had fish die from neuro disorders before, but never a goldfish. What should I do? :(

Guest Bluefish

I don't test my nitrate, ammonia or Ph levels. However, I did add new fish from vvvv and one died the day that I bought it. Where can I get a nitrate kit to test my levels? I don't want all of my fish to get ill.

I don't think this is a neurological disorder Bluefish. It could be swim bladder disorder or an internal bacterial infection or a problem with your water parameters. The symptoms you have mentioned can be from many types of conditions. A bit like a human having a temp and sore throat - many things can cause it.

It is a bit of a coincidence that after you added a new fish one of your other fish died but lets not jump to conclusions.

We need lots of info to try to make an accurate diagnosis including tank size and water readings. Try to answer as many questions as you can in the questionaire at top of page.

You can purchase test kits from most pet stores, or take a sample of your water into the store and ask them to test it for you, most do that for free. Remember we need to know the actually readings not just "good" or "bad".

Oops, forgot to add, before you do anything else I suggest changing 30% of your tank water. Most problems are caused by water conditions.

nb. take water sample for testing before water change.

Archived