Hot Water...

Guest Esareh

Guest Esareh

My house is soo hot and my fish tanks are really warm too. The temp is like, 74. In my book it says somewhere between 64 and 45 degrees farenheight. A little bit warmer is ok ive heard but thier being slugish. What to do to cool it down? i have my fan on and the lighst are off.

74 is whut i breed my fish at, they do fine in it. But if you are noticing them being sluggish, whut i do in the summer is take the little plastic soda bottles, 2 or 3, and fill them with water and freeze them, i add one to the tank as needed, and by freezing more then one, i always have one on hand if needed. The ice in the bottle cools the water slowly, and since its enclosed, the water wont leach iinto your tank.

wow that IS a good idea! I live in AZ so I'm going to have to try that because my water is pretty warm. I can just picture my friends saying: "Uhh...are your fish thirsty or something?" :rofl

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same exact problem. Good idea Meg_Carroll! The only method I knew was buying a water chiller for like $300! :rolleyes:   :D

324675[/snapback]

I bought a chiller for $113. The Cool Works Ice Probe, plus I got the extra temp setting attachment. It was a bit of an investment, but it keeps my water nice and cool on those 85? days when my daughter's poor little fish starts to sweat.

Guest deedeesue

I had the same problem last week. We had a heat wave (go figure) and my tank water got up to 78.

I put ice in a zip lock bag and let it float on top of the water with the edge of the bag secured under the tank hood opening so it wouldn't float around. :)

I like the coke bottle idea too.

I use a heater to keep my fancy goldie tank at 76. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it running at 78. much higher than that I'd add extra airation cuz warmer water holds less oxygen.

Archived