Air Pump

Guest hle_81

Guest hle_81

do you think that air pumps are a necessity in a fish tank or just for aesthetics? IMO, air pumps make your tank look better w/ bubbles in the tank, but are not needed if you have power/canister filters to create surface agitation.

You are very correct. :exactly

From the description of your tank in your signature, I would say that you do not need an aerator if you keep your waterlevel high enough so that you cant hear loud splashes come from the water returns. I too have a 55 gallon with 2 penguin 330's. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with that setup. But, I use an aerator/bubble wall anyway for aesthetics.

Most powerfilters are designed to return the water to the tank by flowing across the surface. This can only happen if the water is high enough to touch the bottom of the return slide (usually the recommended waterlevel in the manual). Allow the water to drop a few inches below that and the water no longer flow across the surface but pours down into the bottom of the tank. This is not what we want.

So, it is usually recommended that we keep an aerator in our goldfish tanks because it isn't common knowledge what I described above. You know, "rules of thumb"........ ;)

Paul

Archived