Random Question

Guest MoonFlowers

Guest MoonFlowers

:blink: Hmm I've been watching my fish lately and one of them in particular is acting a little strange....well differently to how it was when I got it. When it went into my tank it was normal and it's dorsal fin was really high which is good but now it swims around seemingly happy not looking ill really with it's dorsal fin flat along it's back :unsure: does this mean there is something wrong with it? It seems to have started acting this way since they were cleaned out a day ago although my other fish Akashi is fine and has a high dorsal fin :-s.

I have also noticed that since they have been cleaned out, there are lots and lots of bubbles forming on the pant and on the sides of the tank even though there is not bubble making thing in my tank. Is this something I should be worried about? I have a small tank which I have to clean out manually and I'm worried that it might be affecting the bubbles and my fish Keiko. I wish I could of have put a picture with this post to show what I mean cuz it's hard to explain.

Any help would be great thanks xxx

usually that means their not happy... did you TOTALY drain the tank? sometimes that happens with my betta tanks, its normal.. but you shouldnt completly change the water on large tanks.. only about 50%

Guest VxShady

When you mean "clean out" do you mean 100% of the water and you're like.. washing all the gravel and everything? Do you have a filter? What size is the tank? Do you have test kits? How many fish are in the tank, what size are the fish, and what type of goldfish? If you're changing 100% of the water the lots and lots of bubbles would be probably from the new water and they generally disappear in a day or two. How long have you had the fish?

Ok. We'll need to know the answers to the following questions to be able to help you and your fish....

How big is the tank?

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

How long has the tank been up and running?

What kind of filter does it have?

How many fish do you have total in the tank?

Why did you completely clean your tank?

Fish tanks should never be stripped down and cleaned. Doing this kills the nitrifying bacteria that work to make the water safe for your fish. Don't feel ashamed, I use to do that!

Post back soon! :)

Guest MoonFlowers

:) hey people! thanks for your good advice! much appriciated.

ok answers:

* Yes I do normally wash the gravel well and I get rid of all the water when I clean it out. I did this cuz its what my bro has always done with his fish and they?re really old and in good condition in a similar tank with same conditions and he's never had any illnesses with them so I just did the same. (his fish are just normal regular common goldfish, mine are ish the same tho they are red and white comets dunno if tht?s the same fish?

* I have two fish they are very small not very old

* I have no kits and I have no filter (neither does my bro)

* My tank is reasonable size and I think that it is substantial for my fish ....I think it holds 8 literes is this ok? its round ish and quite high.

* I?ve had my fish about 3 days and the tank has been setup a week before I got them. ive had a few goldfish in the past before same type and a couple of them lasted a reasonable while but some others died :-( think it was cuz of the bad colured gravel i used to have. But now with my new fish i got a new tank and gravel (natural stuff same as my bro's) and it's really important to me that i look after them well.

ok, every time your doing that your destroying your cycle, this (though you may not notice) is making the fishes ammune system weak and vunerable (sp?), due to poor water conditions. -the water full of ammonia ect ect-

You need a filter, the fish need air, and the filter will keeop the water clean

And 8 liters is not enough, 2 commons would need at least 40 gallons of water. Preferably alot more.

You fish probably died before due to living conditions, the colour of your gravel wouldnt of done it. You obviously care for your fish if you keep your tank so clean, but that isnt the proper way, i dont want to sound harsh, i used to do the same thing with my fish and they always died as well. here at kokos you will learn all about your finned friends and how to take care of them so they live long happy and healthy lives!

And last but most certainley not least: Welcome to Kokos!!!!

Edit: God i cant spell! vunerabible vonerababale... lol

*Okay, I'm going to say that 8 litres is around 2 to 3 gallons in US & U.K.

Here are some pointers:

~This size of tank that you have is way too small for the two fish you are housing. The rule is at least 10 gallons of space per fish, but I don't really agree with this rule, but I would say at least 5 gallons of space/fish. So you need at least a 10 gallon for these fish. You definetly need a filter as well, it helps circulate the water around and remove ammonia, and other harmful bacteria produced by the goldfish themselves.

You definetly need these two things to start. This would really help the fishes' health and lifestyle.

40 gallons! I know the rule Meg_Carroll, 20 gallons for a slim-bodied fish like the commen and commet and 10 for a fancy, but I really don't think most of us can afford that big of tank for one fish. I have a comet in one 20 gall. but that's because I am too far away to go get another fish for it. I beleive in fish's health and have been taking care of fish for 8 years now, but still I don't think 20 gal. for one fish is really affordable for some of it, even if it is best for the fish.

Two slim bodied fish... they get huge and need lots of room to swim. I had a 14 inch common in a 20g and trust me it was way too small. The way i see it i wouldnt be putting a trout in a 20 gallon.

But, I agree, we cant always afford the gallonage. In that case the biggest tank one can afford is always best. Or a rubbermaid tub. Id say biggest tank you can afford, because when these fish reach max size, 10 gallons isnt going to cut it.

Guest sourmilknightmares

Gernal rule of thumb is ten gallon of water per fish. If you have a low budget at LEAST try to get a 10 gallon tank. (I can but one at nooppee for $9) More is better. See if you can clean out and return the tiny tank you have now and use the money for the new, correct equipment you'll need! :P Definately get a filter. They can be bought cheaply for around $10-$15. You don't have to constantly buy more carbon cartridges for it like pet store and filter makers try to make your believe. You will need some sort of pourus material in the filter for good bacteria to grow on. You can just start off with one carbon cartidge (usually comes with the filter) and keep using that. All you'll have to do with it is rinse it every now and then.

Definately get test kits. Your fish will probably die during the cycle if you don't. Minimum ones you need are ammonia, pH, nitrite, and a lot of people say Nitrate too but I get along fine without one, just do regular water changes.

When you clean the tank only siphon out 20%-50% of the water, otherwise you might kill your cycle, which will then restart and your fish will be VERY stressed out again.

Yep. It's a lot harder to keep happy, healthy goldfish than most people think.

keep in mind (and try to tell your bro) that each common/comet will reach 12-18 inches long, and could live to be 20 years old. they WONT do that in a small bowl. they suffocate on their own waste LOOOOOOOONG before that happens..

sorry if its blunt.. i need to work on my communtication skills!

just remember that their tequnicly pond fish. so lets all treat them like it! XD (including me... get off my butt and rearange to set up that big tank!)

Archived