No Nitrates?

I just got my tank cycled. It was showing 20 ppm Nitrates before water change last weekend. I tested the water yesterday and Ammonia, Nitrites, and nitrates were all at 0. I tested nitrates twice. Is this possible? :huh:

Absolutely! :D

How big is the moor and how many gallons is the tank?

If the moor is small and its at least a ten gallon tank, it could take quite a while for nitrAtes to actually show on the test kits. Don't you worry, that will change as soon as your moor gets bigger. And boy will it ever......... :rolleyes:

Try this:

Draw some tapwater and test it for nitrAtes. At the same time, draw some tankwater and test it too. Set the vials side by side and get a comparison after the full five minutes are up. See any color diff at all? It really is kinda hard to tell the diff between 5ppm and 0ppm if you dont have a side by side comparison........... ;)

Good luck!

PAul

That's great then! :D

She is tiny about 3" and the tank is 10 gallons. I try hard to keep her water healthy but I never expected perfect... ever. I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts. ;) I will test them side by side though. I was really wondering if somehow the test kit was contaminated or something. You have put my mind at ease. Thanks, Paul.

what kinda test are you using?

My AP nitrAte test is really complicated. The first few times I did it, I didn't do all the shaking that was called for and got bogus readings.

I thought of that one too, Betty. :D

I just cycled a 5 gallon Q-tank for my newest arrival (Spud from erikka1979). Once I saw the ammonia and nitrItes drop to 0ppm, I knew the tank was cycled. However, I have yet to see ANY measurable nitrAtes form, or so I thought. I did exactly what I suggested above (test tap and tank at the same time to compare) and was surprised to find that there were just the slightest difference in coloration between the two. SO, I can only assume that the nitrAtes are indeed climbing, albeit very slowly. ;)

It's an AP nitrate test kit. I didn't think it was too involved just a few steps. Chem lab I guess helped prep me for fish. :D

I think I am having a hard time weaning myself from the daily water changes so I am certain the twice weekly change has something to do with it too. I just feel like I am neglecting things. Isn't that funny?!! :lol: It was the drop to zero that freaked me out but a drop can be explained by water changes. Duh!

But you were right, Paul. I do show nitrates when comparing to my tap so I am going to assume the test kits are ok and there is no user error on my part.

wow, good job with your tank and nitrates! My tank could never have less than 7-10 because the tap water says that is how much is in there. Is that true?

Yes. There are many local water supplies that have measurable nitrAtes. As long as they remain low like that from the tap, all should be fine. Just keep testing the tapwater once a week to be sure that this amount does not increase. ;)

Archived