78-79* Tank Temp

Soooo,

My red ryukin Paddles has been living in a 79* tank ever since his bout with dropsy weeks ago. I have read on this forum that many times, goldfish need to stay at that temp after a bad bout with dropsy to avoid falling back into illness, so I have maintained the 78-79*.

However, Paddles may get a roommate in the next few weeks, Mowgli :newfish , who's been living at much cooler room-temp water, and it looks as though he is in already (apparently) good health. Assuming that Mowgli and Paddles get along (and I will acclimate Mowgli slowly to this 79* temp by slowly raising the temp in his quarantine tank), would it be okay for Mowgli to live at the same higher temp as Paddles? I have heard that this is a good temp for sick fish to up their immunity/metabolism, but is it a good situation to sustain for new fish? :peeka

Any advice would be LOTS appreciated! :lol: thanks!!

Hiya! :)

As long as Mowgli makes it through quarentine with flying colors, he should do just fine in the tank with Paddles. Just remember that when you add another fish to a tank/filter, you are adding more bio-load than the filter is prepared for and the ammonia/nitrIte levels can wobble a little bit until a new equilibrium is met. So, be well and sure to ckeck the ammonia and nitrItes every single day (after adding Mowgli) for a week or more to be sure you don't get any showing up. As you know, dropsy is a very precarious condition and stability is key in guarding from future occurances...........

Good luck and let us know how its goin! :D

Paul

I agree with Toothless: Mowgli (good name!) will be fine living at the same temp as Paddles, as long as he is slowly adjusted up to it during quarantine. :)

Archived