Duckweed

Guest queentut

Guest queentut

i am planning on starting an indoor pond next fall, and i was curious if floating plants like duckweeds would provide a sustainable supplement to their diet, if i am feeding flakes as well?

would they eat all the duckweed or would the weed overpower the pond?

Depends on the fish, really, Queentut. Some of mine totally ignore the duck weed, while others munch it down until none are left. When you have the duckweed in an indoor pond, just make sure you have enough lighting for it, otherwise they'll die off. Or you can do it like I do - raise the duckweed outside in a tub, and feed a handful to the fish every now and then. :) Depending on where you live of course - here in Florida duckweed tends to completely choke of local ponds if not thinned out on a regular basis.

Again, depending on where you live you'll find it floating in natural ponds, although I would be a bit weary of them, they could bring in some things you don't wonna have in your tank.

There is duckweed for sale on Aquabid right now, I think. Let me see if I can find the link.... :)

Here you go..... duckweed on Aquabid

Guest Phreno

Well, I'd prefer not to buy plants over the internet. If I found some in a local pond, could I quarantine it for a while? I mean, I'l probably keep it in a bucket outside, feed it to the goldfish as a treat.

Yeah, that would probably work. Just be prepared that the goldfish might just ignore it....picky little eaters.... :lol:

Archived