Once A Week Feeding?

Guest queentut

Guest queentut

so i am about to start a job where i will be gone 5 days a week, and i was wondering if i put my goldfish on a regimen of eating once a week?

i have a 10 gallon tank with 2 2 inch commons and one1 1 1/2 inch fantail. just ending cycling. (nitrites are still sort of high) they have 3 different types of plants in there, but they don't really munch on the plants much.

Fish generally do fine if they are not fed for a few days, but it shouldn't happen all the time. They rely on the food for proper nutrition, especially younger fish. Once a week feedings on a a regular basis isn't all that good for them, they'll have a hard time growing, and are more prone to illness. Although I can imagine once they get really hungry that they'll change their minds about the plants they have in. With a plentiful supply of plants you might get away with it for a while.

Did you consider having somebody trustworthy feed them maybe every 2. day or so?

I also agree that once a week feedings on a regular basis would not be good for the fish at all.

Here is an idea: a good quality automatic feeder. Make sure it is reliable, I have heard that some malfunction but if those may be the cheaper ones.

Does anyone use an automatic feeder and have good results?

Guest queentut

what if i put something like duckweed in the tank? will they nibble on that? are there any goldfish tank plants specifically designed for eating?

i hear that the automatic feeders work pretty well, my neighbor has tropicals and uses it when he goes away, and likes it...he says he bought it at mmm...it holds a weeks worth of food, mayube try that?

Guest jmp6161987

I don't think automatic feeders (electronic ones) can be useful but vacation feeders (the fun-shaped ones) are much better for tropical fish and should not be used regularly because the food is of lower quality. I agree that feeding should be done more than once or twice a week...and may I also suggest a larger tank if that's possible? I wouldn't want to split the guys up but I personally would prefer more space :blink: Just a thought.

Archived