Oh No

Guest golden_goldy93

Guest golden_goldy93

I went down to look at him today and he had little white spots on his tail fin. What could it be? I don't see any of them anywhere else. my other fishes tail looks like it's getting really small and it's like looking way different then it used to.

I am going to move your thread into the diagnosis area so that it can get a better viewing.

Please answer all the questions at the top of the page, that way we can help you better.

Guest sourmilknightmares

Sounds like it may be ick and fin rot. I would check all of my water parameters. If everythings okay I would start to ad a .3% salt solution. Here's the info from the disease board:

Concentrations

A low concentration of 0.1% is 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gl. This low rate will not do any damage to most water plants.

A medium concentration is between 0.1% and 0.5%, but personally I don't go higher than 0.3%. This rate should be obtained in 12 hour intervals, 0.1% salt for 3 times.

A high concentration is up to 0.9% is only recommended for very short treatments, like a dip or short bath, otherwise its deadly to your fish.

Salt works very well for both ich and fin rot. I would definately try it. Use something like aquarium salt or kosher salt.

You can use any uniodized salt which does NOT contain anti-caking agents (table salt usually does, so be very careful of this). Cooking, kosher, pure sea and aquarium salt are usually all OK though.

Dissolve the salt completely first in some old tank water and pour it in the tank slowly, well away from the fish and filter. Remove all live plants and snails beforehand as they will not tolerate salt. Do not add more than 1 levelled tsp per gallon every 12 hours for a maxmium of 3 treatments (i.e. 0.3%) otherwise you may affect the cycle. You can do water changes weekly as usual, but remember to replace however much salt is lost, e.g. if you remove 2 gallons, add 6 level tsps of salt to the water going back in (and make them small tsps as it is easy to put too much salt in).

Hope this helps. :)

Archived