Please Please Help Me And My Goldfish

Guest patj28

Guest patj28

It has had this a while. He continues to swim and eat and is spunky. But I feel bad for him and would like to help intervene to cure him if possible. People in fish stores around here are clueless. Maybe one of you experts can help me. Please please please :cry1 TIA :krazy:

http://img101.echo.cx/my.php?image=fffiiissshhhyyy0044pu.jpg

http://img215.echo.cx/my.php?image=fffiiissshhhyyy0053fp.jpg

http://img215.echo.cx/my.php?image=fffiiissshhhyyy0064vt.jpg

What the board experts [who really know something, unlike me], are going to need to really help you is the answers to the questions in the box. [it's at the top of the posting page].

Knowing how big your tank is -- and how many fish are in it -- is an important place to start. The reason all of those questions are asked is, that often determines the treatment. Many things can be solved with regular water changes, and maybe some salt, or some other added-to-the-water treatment.

Once people have that information, they can rule in or rule out certain things. The only thing I know is, your fish isn't an oranda, and that isn't the white spots orandas get when their wens are starting to grow again, which is a normal white spot. But the people on this board know an amazing amount, and I'm sure somebody'll have a good answer for you, but if you can get the answers to those questions, that should help them give you a good answer.

--Mav

Guest patj28

Oh ok thanks for letting me know. 29 gallon tank, Aqua clear 200 filter, I feed them just wardleys goldfish flakes. I change the water weekly with at least 25% and use a chlorine eliminator in the appropriate proportions for new tap water. I don't know any of the chemical levels. The other fish are fine. They are all about 5 years old.

Hi there. :)

Off the top, this looks to me like a tumor of some sort. I believe it is growing out of or from the upper area of its operculum (gill flap). This could either have been brought on from poor water quality or genetics (or both?).

I have a few questions for you:

When did this start to appear?

Did it grow slowly or fast?

Is it still growing?

Does it ever change moods (become inflamed or angry looking)? Or does it always look pretty much the way it does in the pics?

Can you try to get a clearer picture of him? Try setting the cameras focus beforehand (usually lightly pressing the shutter button til the focus brackets turn green) and/or using the macro setting within 15 inches or closer.

This sounds like your goldie seems to be generally happy so, i wouldn't do anything other than continue to keep up the good work. Amputation is a possiblity. Anyway, from what I could see, there is a blood supply getting into (and back out of) the tumor so, thats an iffy question. A vet that specializes in treating fish would know the answer to that one better than I.

A few pointers for the future:

Your tank is 30 gallons and your filter only pushes 200gph, right? Well, according to the suggested rule of thumb for filtration, this is a sub par set-up. Goldfish, especially 3 full grown ones, in a 30 gallon tank, needs at the very least, 300gph total in filtration. Again, especially with 3 full grown (relatively speaking) goldfish in a 30 gallon. I highly suggest that you get another filter just like the one you have now (at least a 150gph) and add it to your tank. This will assure you that your water is being kept clean at all times, even after filter cleanings. Trust me, there are quite a bit more reasons than I could tell you in one post. Instead of doing that, I'll leave you with a few links to some pages that should help you to undrstand this a bit more:

cycling tanks

filter and maintenence

I think you will see the need for aquiring some test kits. They truly are a necessity when keeping fish. Otherwise, you have no idea how much water you should be changing. Even though you seem to have a good regemine going, your nitrAtes can still creep up to very high levels. especially after a number of months/years without testing.

You are in luck, there is a VERY cheap source for both the test kits and a new filter all in one stop. here are two links to BigAls.com and the two products I suggest:

Test kits

filter

If you were to buy these two at local prices, you would pay at least double what you see in the links. Trust me, this is THE cheapest source for anything aquatic you can find...........

Good luck and post back soon. :D

Paul

Ok that is a big bump!! I will have to recruit more help, but you will need to get the water tested, whether you take a sample to the store and have them do it, or get tests yourself.

They or you will need to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and Ph, make sure if they do it they write down the numbers and give them to you. You can post them for us and it will be better for us to help you.

Also how long has the lump been there? How is the fish acting?

i would say a tumour as well. the only way to get rid of it if it doesnt shrink is via a vet, but theres no guarantee it wont come back. they are really only life threatening if the fish cant feed or is severely inhibited by it.

Archived