Does Your Pearlscale...

Guest Oranda Man

Guest Oranda Man

My Pearscale (Chub) seems rather...ummm...sedentary. He likes to hang out in this little pocket between one of my plants and a lava rock, right in front of the air line. I think he like the sensation of the ebb created by the air & the plant.

Is this common? Are they really sensory fish?

Hi Oranda Man, I'm not sure what you mean by "sensory fish" but my pearlies are very active and rambuctuous little critters. They don't care who their tank mates are and show no fear or favour.

Has your pearlscale always behaved this way? How long have you had him/her?

If this behaviour is new there may be a health issue responsible but don't panic, all fish are individuals and maybe he/she is just an introvert.

One more thought, "lots of plants", is their a possibility your tank is overcrowded, perhaps lacks oxygen or free swimming space?

Guest Oranda Man

Well, maybe this may contributing to it...

The missus bought some little black and white fish who turned out to be a complete jerk and wound up chasing the pearlie all over the tank. Is he maybe afraid of other fish now? He used to be so perky... :(

My white pearscale hangs out in the back corner of the tank between the rock and the corner of the tank. He's never around the other larger fish... but this may be the reason. He's much smaller.

He does however come out to eat. I'm going to check on him now.....yup... he's in that general area away from the others.

It sounds like you have an imcompatible fish. Usually people only keep goldfish with other goldfish. Your other fish sounds like he is been aggressive toward your pearlscale. So, yea, I would say that's why he's just hanging out in one spot. Do you have any idea what kind of black and white fish your wife bought?

Also if you haven't done so, you should test the water params of your tank just to make sure there is not a water quality issue too.

I agree with what everybody else has said, but for the other side...

Each of my fish has a favorite spot, on opposite ends of the tank, actually. The one spends more of his time in his favorite spot [on the river rock, behind the plants] than the other does, but he is what I would call an "introverted" fish, and his roomie is quite boisterous, so it's not surprising sometimes he's sick of his friend!

But I'd still check the water params. + all of that.

--Mav

Guest Oranda Man
It sounds like you have an imcompatible fish.  Usually people only keep goldfish with other goldfish.  Your other fish sounds like he is been aggressive toward your pearlscale.  So, yea, I would say that's why he's just hanging out in one spot.  Do you have any idea what kind of black and white fish your wife bought?

Also if you haven't done so, you should test the water params of your tank just to make sure there is not a water quality issue too.

324213[/snapback]

Yeah, I think that the stupid Oreo might have damaged him a touch, so we are leaving him in his own little tank to recover...suffice to say, the b/w jerk is going back to the store or being euthanized. Sorry, but the we don't like mean fish. :angry:

Guest Oranda Man
I agree with what everybody else has said, but for the other side...

Each of my fish has a favorite spot, on opposite ends of the tank, actually.  The one spends more of his time in his favorite spot [on the river rock, behind the plants] than the other does, but he is what I would call an "introverted" fish, and his roomie is quite boisterous, so it's not surprising sometimes he's sick of his friend!

But I'd still check the water params. + all of that.

--Mav

324268[/snapback]

That's good to hear! But it leaves me worried since he was such a happy fish before the Oreo went after him...

the only time my large pearlscale is "sedentary" is when he has ANOTHER stone stuck in his mouth. :no: No matter how big or small I get the gravel in his tank he manages to eventually get one stuck in his mouth!!! :lol:

Guest Oranda Man
It sounds to me like the Oreo is the problem.  What is an Oreo anyway?

324333[/snapback]

A PIA, for one! I am not sure. My g/f picked him up based upon his looks...I was too busy buying plant food and other water-related items to pay attention to what she was buying at the time. Seh says he seems to have perked up in the isolation tank.

Thanks for all your help, everyone! I will update you later on this weekend, hopefully with good news!

Archived