Shelf Life

Guest VxShady

Guest VxShady

Any one know the shelf life of the Medigold and Metromed food? I don't have issues right now but I thought it'd be nice to have it on hand just in case. But I don't wanna get it if its gonna go back in a few months, ya know?

From GoldfishConnection.com:

"If kept in an airtight container in a dry, cool, dark place, MEDI-GOLD should last for six months."

I would think that the shelf-life is about the same for Metro-Med, since it also contains antibiotics? :idont

:bubbles

I think that "6 mths" refers to after the container has been opened.

If you are just going to keep some on hand in case of emergencies, and not open the container, I should think it would last a great deal longer. Maybe a couple of years.

Why not email a Q. to Goldfish Connection?

I can read your mind Sandy. You want to order some Progold and while you're there get some meds "just in case".

Guest VxShady

Ah.. Annette.. you have powers, you do! Yeah I thought I'd do it all in one stop. Good idea. I will write to the peoples of the site! Why didn't I think of that? Hmm? Sometimes I just don't think.

I have a question about the shelf life of fish food as well. We cant get medi-gold or any form of medicated food here, but we do occasionally have hikari. But the only places i've seen it sold have been out of date.. or so i thought.. However Hikari is made in China no? The chinese have a different sort of exp. dating, they stamp it with the date it was manufactured, not when it is to expire, would this be the same as it is sold in australia? The chinese usually also put on the package something like 'discard 6 months after opening' like the medi-gold, but the Hikari food dosent, i'm confused... I dont want to buy out of date food and the aquarium fella couldn't help me.

Anyone know about that one?

Guest VxShady

I'm looking at one of my Hikari packages right now and on the back at the very bottom it says Best Before 2007.07. But I can't remember when I bought it so its of no use to you. Heh. Nah I think it was a few months ago. So a couple of years apparently.

I never even thought to look at the expiry date. My Hikari Wheat Germ Pellets expire 2006.11. I bought them last month.

edit: I keep my empty fish food jars (small ones) and just fill them up from the bigger bag/container as I need them. Meanwhile I keep the original bag in an airtight container.

hrmm.. well these hikari packets didn't actually have "expiry **/**/**" just some chinese characters and a date pre-dating the actual date that it was on that day (does that make sense lol) It certainly looked like an expiry date, you know like it was stamped and there were no other dates on the packet...

Oh i'm confused.. Maybe i'll just stick to inferior "in date" foods...

Thanks fishmerised, but i just bought a new big container of food, i had actually fully run out in my search for some hikari. This will last me a few months but i might take ya up on your offer later on if i dont find someone else here :)

Guest VxShady

Well Rick from Goldfish Connection just got back to me. And apparently, its the same for both. And it goes like this:

If its unopened and kept in the refridgerator, its good for up to 9 months. Once its been opened, its only good for 3 or 4 months. And I'm guessing the 6 months then is if its unopened and kept at room temperature. Oy

Archived