Fish Toys

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Guest IluvMyBuddy

I have one 2.5 in. Oranda goldfish living by himself in a 10 gal. tank with only rocks at the bottom. I had two live plants, but it contributed to Ick so i disposed of them while treating Buddy from Ick. He's all better now, and since that incident i like to keep my tank plain and simple, but sometimes I can't help but feel he's bored. Are there anything fish like to play with?

Theres always fake plants but Im not a big fan. If u do wanna go with fake plants make sure theyre silk(i think thats it-the soft ones anyhow, not plastic), Otherwise you could try a couple ornaments that bubble. Ive heard of goldies who like to swim through the bubbles. Personally I would get a 20 gallon and get another goldie. But thats not always possible. Good luck

Guest VxShady

Its nice for them to have something in the tank that they can hide behind if they get startled. And it kind of gives them a little safe territory that they like to hang out in or sleep in. I have silk plants in mine but I dont really like them. I just have them cause I can't even keep a cactus alive, ya know? Knowing me, my aquatic plants would die from overwatering. Don't ask. I would try getting the live plants again, but make sure you quarantine them first and go through all the proper steps to make sure they're not carrying any snails or diseases. I can't remember what some of the members around here do to their plants, but I'm sure some one will chime in here. Or as mentioned above, go bigger and get him a friend if you can. Goldys like to have a companion.

If you really dont want to try live plants again, I would go with silk. At least a few, to give him some hiding space. I have live plants in my tank, and my goldies love swimming through them, and around them, and munching on them... LOL, piggies. Anyways, maybe a a few small decorations, or so? I really like drift wood. Also, bubbles are nice. Goldies like to swim through them, and chase the bubbles around (at least mine do! Its hilarious to watch) Also, as was mentioned, if possible, get a bigger tank and get him a friend. I had a comet in a 10 gallon by himself for a long time, and when I had never seen him happier the day I upgraded my tank, and got him a friend (even better, a female friend... LOL, he was in 7th heaven!). If you cant do that, try a few decorations and fake plants. If you do decide to try live plants again, make sure you quarentine for a week. I bought some stuff at the LFS awhile ago that you add to the water and gets rid of anything nasty that could be on the plants. Gosh I cant remember the name of it. Ill have to go look. Anyways, if you do try again, ive always had great luck with amazon swords. They have big leaves, so the goldie wont munch on them much, and they grow pretty fast. That was the first plant I bought when i started, and i still have it, and its doing beautifully!!! I even have some sprouts coming off of it!

Guest IluvMyBuddy

i really want to avoid getting live plants..what about a castle or something? i can't afford another tank let alone another fish :<

Guest VxShady

Just keep in mind that hollow ornaments aren't good. They create stagnant water that breeds disease.

I agree with the plants. I have plastic plants in my tank -- my fish kept uprooting the real ones! <_< But I have put a few of them in one corner, with a nice flat river rock, and it's my calico's favorite place. The redcap really likes the other corner of the tank, with the other flat river rock, and the fake driftwood, and the mini-bubble wand. He actually likes to sleep with his nose under the bubble wand!

So, yeah, get something -- I think a castle should be fine, but you want to make sure it's clean, too, before you put it in the tank. I use a strong salt solution to sterilize any new ornaments or rocks or fake plants that go in my tank.

--Mav

Guest IluvMyBuddy

wow thanks for the tip. i think i'll get a little ornament with a bubble thingy..haha hopefully Buddy will like it ^^

Guest Dawn Hunley

If your Goldies are personable and like attention, get them a small plastic or rubber ball. Cover it in gell food and stick it in the frezzer over night. Put it in the top of the tank the next day. It provides a snack as well as a toy to push around the tank. It's a lot of fun to see them pushing it around to try to get the food off of it! My Oranda loves this!

Just an Idea! :idea

I just have them cause I can't even keep a cactus alive, ya know?  Knowing me, my aquatic plants would die from overwatering.  Don't ask. 

323957[/snapback]

Hey I feel ya. I live in AZ and I can't keep a cactus alive either, and that's why I have fake plants in my tank BUT!!!!! I have a brown, crunchy, decaying thumb and am striving for a lush green one, and I think I'm getting somewhere! I have been growing these flower thingies in a pot, watering them everyday, and caring for them etc and today one bloomed! I was so excited I dragged everyone in my family outside to see it, including my boyfriend when he came over. Their respose: "OH! The weeds blossomed!!" :blink:

Archived