Humanely Putting Fish To Sleep

:cry1 I had to put down both of my telescopes, Lois and Clark last night due to dropsy. They were my first fish ever and I made the mistake of buying them from our local nooppee. Which I'm sure most of you know was my first oops. They had never ending problems, and I just couldn't let them suffer anymore.

Anyway, I had looked at other postings on how to put them down and I didn't have the heart just to put them in the freezer directly. Sooooo, I put them in a large glass vase with their tank water and filled it with baking soda, until it stopped dissolving. They fell into a deep sleep very quickly, and then I put them in the freezer. It probably works just as well as other ideas, but for those like me who couldn't put their fish directly into the freezer while they were still moving around, this really helped. Still broke my heart...but it helped me feel better about how peacefully they went. :heart

Guest VxShady

I'm very sorry you had to go through that. I've never had to do it myself but I can only imagine. But sometimes it's just better that way.

For reasons I shall not mention, I choose not to shop at nnnnnn. But I do know that not all locations are the same. It's no different then getting fish from mmm or vvvv. It varies depending upon who's running the store. I go to a vvvv to get my fish, and a mmm to get my supplies. And irregardless of how a fish looks when you get it, you never know what's down the road. You made no mistake.

:crying: I am sorry to hear about you fish....I know it's hearbreaking to do....Ever hear of Rainbow Bridge?....it's a beautiful poem about when animals die they cross over to the rainbow bridge. I can send it your way if you would like me too.

You are a good hearted person to end their suffering though so give yourself a hug for that.... :bighug You did the right thing..... :flowers

Back again. This post is niggling at me.

One thing I do know about baking soda is that it raises the alkalinity (pH), perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect your fish didn't "go to sleep" rather they went into pH shock. I hope someone else comes along who can clarify that your idea is really "humane".

Sorry, I don't mean to upset you further over the lose of your fish but I'd like to be sure before others use your method.

:( I am certainly no expert on euthanizing fish-that's for sure,but I have to agree with Annette on this one.What possessed you to use Baking Soda? I also understand that Baking Soda increases your PH.,and to me,adding that much baking soda would not make fish sleep-sounds like they 'd go into shock then death.It may have happened quickly,but was it humanely? In my personal opinion,I would not think so. :( I am very curious as to why you chose this way....Putting them in the freezer,slowly slows down their system to a point where it happens.This to me sounds alot more painful. :( Because I don't consider myself an expert on this,I will leave this until someone more advanced in this area can make me believe that this was okay. :(

I'm sorry that you have to put them down but baking soda is definitely NOT the way to do it. Annette and Sharon are right, I'm afraid. :(

The more accepted method is to use oil of clove put them to sleep and then increase dosage until they stop breathing. It is as close to painless as you can get.

There is much debate on the freezer method. Do the fish become comatose first or suffer frost bite first? That we can't answer and that is why is it going out of favour and the clove oil method is more popular.

I can tell you the most painless method but you won't like it.

Okay, this is your first and final warning. If you don't want to know, just hit the back button now!

You get the sharpest knife you have and cut its head off in one quick movement. It is over in a flash.

Gawd captk - i know you're right. I had a sufferer once and heard the freezer method was painful until it reached such a temp as to actually freeze them... All the organs in their bodies start to slow down and breathing becomes laboured (don't know how true this is though) so i sharpened one of those big chopping knives do try and do it the most painless way for him... It was horrible - well horrible for me but i'm sure he would have been grateful. I took him outside in a bowl then quickly put him on a table in the yard but straight afterwards, i think i had a little shock - i accidentally twitched and his head fell off the table and into the tall grass :blink: . I was on my hands and knees for 15 minutes trying to find his little head (although that's probably because i had so much water in my eyes...)

Not sure if i have the constitution to do it again but if it means less pain :)

Shall I do my Annette impersonation? I can do a half way decent Kathy. :D

Oil of clove should be in health food stores and some chemists. It is suppose to be good for tooth aches. ;)

I found this site;

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id...l+Clove+Oil+5mL

and this one;

http://www.paylesschemists.com.au/product....13&SubCatID=132

Ahhhh thankyou Annette :D So it's basically an aromatherapy oil? Thanks for the link captk - not that i want to preempt anything but i think i should order some just in case :blink::D

I think it depends on how they want to market it. It can be used for aromatherapy but it can also be used for toothache. I found a couple of other brands as well. (see amended post above) :) Just check the ingredients to make sure it is as close to oil of clove as possible instead of a 100 additives + a drop of clove oil. ;)

Oh, Annette said you are most welcome! :lol:

OOOHHHHHH BOY. Thank you all for your great input. The reason behind using the baking soda was me heeding the advice of the staff at my local vvvv. They have always been really helpful to me, and the store manager there is a goldfish collecter, and he told suggested this method to me. Said he'd done it a million times for sick fish.

Oh Lord, now I feel absolutlely awful. I hope the the Lord spared their pain because I'm a moron! :cry1

P.S. I would love to here that poem you suggested!Maybe it would make me feel better!

Here it is, Orandas-are-my-heart... :)

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

A friend of mine arranged a special "place" for her parted dog not so long ago, and she can visit his "virtual" grave as often as she wishes.... :)

:( None of are experts at everything.Opinions are one thing ,as we each have our own.Tips are another...Before anyone decides to pass a tip along for now on,I only hope that they will do a little research before they pass it. Alot of damage can be done passing along tips that haven't been researched & thought out well. It should be the same with the advice you pass when someone is asking for help.I myself have never had to euthanize a fish,but I have looked into the matter,-just in case. I have decided that if I ever have to go that route,the clove oil would probably be my first choice.This of course would only be an opinion of mine,as I said,I have never attempted this before.

:blink: Sorry about the "tip post", I suppose I thought since it seemed to work for me and I got it on the reccommendation from someone who'd been in the business awhile it was a good plan. I'm still learning all these things, and hopefully they weren't in too much pain, because I don't think I could live with that!

Thanks Ranchugirl for the link! That was adorable! And thank you everybody for insight on the baking soda disaster! :crp

Hi, orandas

I will get it to you as soon as possible!! Just gotta find it???

It's a beautiful one....it always brings a tear when I read it though :cry

Don't feel too bad I have listened to the people at Petstores way to much...now I have learned it's better to come here first before doing ne thing :)

I am off to look for that poem for you.......later

Dear Orandas*R*my*heart, I'm feeling for you right now.

It may not have been the most humane method after all but it was quick. We all learn new things everyday.

wait a second... so clove oil is eugenol? Gosh golly gee. I have loads of that stuff. Its for tooth aches? My bottles say eugenol 84% and sesame oil. Is that the same stuff? God forbid i ever have to use it, but i wouldve needed it long ago and wished i had some. As for the chopping head method, it is the quickest way, but i couldnt do it, and i think it would stress oiut my baby from being out of the water.

Sorry about your fin-babies, ORMH.

That poem was nice, i can read stuff like that though, makes my throat hurt, lol..

Archived