Tricky Water Volume Calculation ...

I scored a bargain yesterday, just couldn't pass it buy. A plastic "barrel" type pond for only $26 at Bunnings Hardware. I'm not sure at this point how and when I'm going to use it - it appears to be between 25 - 30g but I need assistance with the calculations.

It is round in shape but wider at the top, here are the measurements :-

Top diameter: 1' 9.5" or 55cm

Bottom diameter: 1' 3" or 38cm

Height from centre bottom to the top: 1' 3" or 38cm"

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Hi Annette, you called? :)

Okay, by my calculations, the volume is 65.25L or 17.24US gal. I checked it with 2 different methods. :)

I'm glad you are feeling better today. :thumb:

Thank you Henry, I glad you figured it out because there is quiet a difference between 17g and my guesstimation of 25 - 30g, especially if I use it for a hospital tank and use medications! ta so much.

No worries, Annette. Gave the little gray cells something to do for a change. :D

OBTW, you won't be filling it to the top so if you take 3cm off the top then the volume is down to 60L neat. :)

So Bunnings is selling them. Will they make a good HT?

Yes indeed-i-do, I think so.

They are lightweight and easily stored on a top shelf in the garage (or whatever).

They are a decent volume for a single large fish and a hob could be fixed onto it without too much trouble. It has a rather wide lip though, about 5cm.

Guest VxShady

I had this insane feeling that he was going to be the one to answer this question. As soon as I read this thread, I'm bad at math, I says to myself "Now that one Captk fella should get this one."

You speak too soon, VxShady. :D

I'm sorry Annette, I misread your description of the bowl. I thought it was an inverted cone shape instead of a half barrel. :ignore

The correct volume is actually 74.5L or 19.7 US gal.

If you fill it 3 cm from the top, it will be 68.7L or 18.1 gal.

Sorry for any inconvenience. :)

Guest VxShady

Wow. Like 2 gallons off. Geeeeeeeeez. I woulda told her she had like a 500 gallon swimming pool thing if I'd have tried it.

YOU STILL ROCK! :rockon

If I ever go back to college you'll be doing my math for me. I hope you know that.

Guest VxShady

See.. thats the tricky part though.. cause I'm gonna be all smart about it.. and you won't even know you're doing my work for me, MAN!

I'm gonna be postin threads like this one. Its gonna be like "Help, my fish is sick. I need to calculate how much med to give him. Quick! Give me the area to this triangle so I know how much to give him!" You're not going to charge me for that, now are you? I have a sick fish who's life depends on that triangle!

Archived