Tank Types?

What effects do these tank types have on goldies?

- a "tank" that is at ground level but open-topped or something, such that all interaction with the goldfish comes from above rather than at eye level (for the fish). Either a pond or something that is more long & wide than tall, but that the fish cannot jump out of and that dogs/cats/etc. can't get to.

- a tank on a stand that lets the fish see eye to eye with the person through the glass. Something that is tall enough that the fish has some vertical mobility.

I have my goldie in a large tub on the floor, and recently he's started poking his eyeballs out of the water to see me when I'm comming, and I'm thinking about switching to the normal tank-on-the-table setup once I move this summer, but then it occured to me...in China and Japan they didn't really do that, and they love their fish...so is there any real advantage for the fish to one setup or the other, provided that the filtration/saftey/etc. is the same?

I suppose it would depend on the shape of the fish.

Flat bodied ones or telescope eyes like Moors, celestials, bubble eyes, ranchus and lion heads would look great from above. Being relatively flat, I'd imagine they would enjoy the greater surface area, rather than depth.

Other types like Orandas, Ryukins etc look good from the side, plus they are better swimmers. Not sure where Comets fit in... are they good swimmers?

I can still buy traditional chinese goldfish bowls, they look like 2 foot diameter champagne glasses, ie very flat and wide on a pedestal. One day, when I can afford a house instead of a flat, I'd like to keep celestials in one of those.

There, that's my tuppence.

Slugger

:D i like a tank cause you can see your fish in all parts of your tank and like looking at my tank decorations. and watching my fish swin though them and around them. thats just me out door ponds are great too

Archived