The Loving Bond

People in my school think I'm crazy. C'mon, how many 12 year olds have 4 fish tanks and 17 fish with individual names.

But I ignore them, I have a bond with my fish. I have been having emotional issues latley, and when my bad days come, i put my fingers in the tank, and tell them. I think the thoughts and feel my feelings running out my fingers into the water.

And they feel it to.

My fish will come and thread their fins into my fingers, rest in my palm and nip at my forearm. They stop at the glass and I look into their eyes. I love them, and this is the bond many people see in their dogs and cats, but I have it in my fish.

Dont tell me about how it is just the fishes reaction to my hand, thinking its food or a plant. Because I know its not. I know its love that I see in their eyes. One cannot change this, after all we have been through (the fish) and the emotional pain that I get every day. THe bond just weaves itself togeather.

I treasure it almost more than anything in my world.

I think I can accurately state that you are a true fishy person!!!  :)

323867[/snapback]

Ditto :D

My fishies are scared of my hand so I cant really do all that stuff <_<

BUT...I do it with my dog :peeka

It's a miracle of nature that we are able to bond with other species in such a special way. I believe that some of us relate better to specific animal groups, eg. Steve Urwin and crocodiles, ha ha. I like horses, I think they are beautiful, magnificent creatures but they don't like me. Perhaps they sense an inherent weakness or softness they can exploit in me.

Black Mario, I think you should reply to this post. Is it mainly fish you have this bond with or does it extend to other inhabitants of the animal kingdom?

Black Moorio; everyone I know thinks I'm insane too! There is only two people who listen to me talk about my goldfish, everyone else is what I refer to as 'a goldfish atheist.' My friends tell me it's ridiculus to get attatched to goldfish, but of course their wrong. I treat mine as part of the family too. I think it's wonderful that all your goldfish have a bond with you, though I personally have had only one fish that I have really felt bonded too; my oranda Roano, who recently passed away.

It's really something to have all your fish trust you like that.

Guest PenelopeFish

For the majority of the human population, fish, reptiles, and amphibians are difficult pets too keep. I feel that most people bond easily to mammals, because being mammals ourselves, we inherently understand what a mammal needs. We understand when a cat gets cold and needs warmth. We understand that dogs like to eat meat. We have a connection to fur. We are fury too! BUT, lizards, goldfish and frogs aren't similar to humans in any obvious ways. They are cold blooded, shed their skin, and have scales! Yikes! I believe this is why fish are percieved as silly pets. They're too strange! Well, you and I know this isn't true, but for many it's a fact. Fish are difficult for many to relate to. That's why people think it is strange that we all love fish so much. How could you love a pet that you can't even pet? haha, we need to change the term "Pet". A pet is NOT just an animal you can pet. We should call them "Animal Companions of Any Variety." My goldie is now my ACAV. Hmmm, that's weird.

PenelopeFish :blink:

What a great term! Maybe using it to describe my fish as AVAC's will get my friends to quit harping about how a goldfish 'isn't a pet because you can't pet it.'

dislexic people!

ACAV! :) lol! Your not crazy.... Puting an animal that is supposed to live in fridged water and get a foot long in a BOWL is crazy. and think a "Nemo" fish can live with it. or a puffer.... (the lady said since i wouldnt sell a puffer to her for her goldfishes friend, she'd just go some where else. I kinda hope she did and killed both of those poor animals. its sad but she needs to learn :( )

Dont listen to them! Some people just dont get it. I bet most of them have some form of a pet, whether it be a cat, dog... whatever it may be. I always look at it as with our fish, we take care of them properly (just like they do with their animals, they feed them, bath them, cudle them, change their litter). If they didnt do those things for them, people would look at them as if they were cruel to animals, but when people see other people who care for fish, especially goldfish, they think their nuts. I just dont understand it. I love my fish, just like I love my cats. Alot of people thought I was crazy at first. My mom, my fiance, all of them. then when they saw how wonderful they were, and how loving they are, and so loving, they grew on them, and now they have a better understanding for why I love them sooo much.

Dont let them get you down. You have a great relationship with your fish, and always remember that.

I have many pets and always need atleast one around. My first choice being my dog(s) and my second being a big tie between all others. I love to train and thats where most of the bond lies. But with my goldies its in the trust, that they trust my hand not to grab them every time i stick it in. Even if once in a while i do they still dont hesitate to come back the next time. Maybe it is becuase they just think Ill have food(most of the time i do!) but i think it just has to do with that they trust me and kinda enjoy the fact this giant looming over theyre home isnt gonna eat them. I enjoy my goldies soooo much. But sadly i cant say i wont give them up for the world as i must give them up to move. But I will continue this obsession with all pets, my next being a rat. wish me luck and everyone i wish you have all the good times you can with ur water friends.

Oh, cometgoldielover, I just read that post and noticed your signature.

What a bummer, it is sad indeed. Have you found homes for any of your ACAV's? You could always post on the forum "Buy, Sell & Trade".

Good luck with your plans, keep us up to date on how things turn out.

Guest VxShady

I honestly have to say that I probably would have thought all of you nuts too before I got my fishys. But I know what you mean. I've grown really attached to all my lil fellas. Its like, each type that I have represents a part of me. My bettas are my anger, my dojo loaches are my silly side and my goldies are my sweet and sensitive side. Kind of weird. I know.

But I still.. love.. LOVE.. the looks I get.. when I announce.. "I need to make dinner for my fish" and I pull out the blender, gelatin, vitamins and mixture of other ingredients and spend a good hour getting it all ready. They says to me.. they says.. "You know they sell fish flakes, right?" I don't even cook like that for myself!

yes animals are truely special creatures, i also believe they pick up feelings from us, through our body language, tone of voice ect, and i think your fish really love the person who you are, and it's great that they trust you the way they do, it means they really respect you and adore you. so i think your very lucky, do not listen to the people that say your silly, or stupid for loving your fish, they are just jealous, and and anyone that loves and respects animals is a better person, and works well with nature, and therfore turns out to be a better person, no one is perfect, and we all can learn more everyday, so what i'm trying to say is dont worry what other people think, it's what makes you happy, and i think you sound ok to me, so cheer up cos those kids at school are just brats, and thats all. you are much more mature. also kids can be very horrible.

i dont know if this makes sense, but i hope you get something out of that, i always write my feelings, so soemtimes it's all over the place, so if you dont understand this, i totally understand, yes i'am abit nuts, if your wondering :rofl

Black Mario, I think you should reply to this post. Is it mainly fish you have this bond with or does it extend to other inhabitants of the animal kingdom?

I have a dog, and I did have two cats. One of my cats, Rosie, I had bonded with A LOT. When my hormones would be raging, and I was mad at the world she was the only thing I didnt hate for the moment.

We came back from our weekend house from two days away...Rosie was dead at 5 years old. Last year we had to put our other cat to sleep, Simba. He was 11 and had kidney failure.Then there was General who I knew for the first 5 or so years of my life. I grew up with cats, and now my parents are saying we might not get another one. And let me tell you, I NEED a cat.

I am fascinated with animals, I always have been and always will. If I see a squirl that was run over on the street, I mourn for it and put a cross of branches on it. I save the worm strugling on our driveway in the summer sun. I help the bug that has flipped over on its back. I save the turtle stuck in the mud.

I gues I could say yes. I am a true animal pereson.

I pray for animals that have been killed for our human conveniences. It breaks my heart. Moorio, please tell your parents that you need a cat. Tell them about some of the tough stuff you feel and how Rosie was your outlet. As a mother, I know I couldn't refuse you. Especially if you explain it just as you have here. I know you think they can't possibly understand all that you feel but I know I do remember being your age. I can't imagine ever forgetting. It was really tough.

There's nothing wrong with what you feel for your fish. You are blessed to have such good, faithful friends and they are certainly blessed to have you. Thats how I feel about all of my ACAVs. :D Taking good care of your pets certainly makes me feel great about myself. I'd even call it therapeutic.

BTW, I thought your first post on this thread was really beautiful. You are a great person. One day, those kids at school will be so far away in your brain. You will just be you and that is truly wonderful. Remember, they just pick on people because they are hurting and they think putting someone else down will make them feel better. They may not be blessed with a great family like yours. That could be how their parents treat them. At least you have a somethings they don't... your fish, and a supportive family.

I agree, you obviously have bonded with your fish, and that it very special. It is a privilegde to actually bond with the animal. We humans like to think we can conquer anything, and that if we wanted to bond with our animals then they would bond with us. I work with horses every day, and they have taught me so much. When you ask an animal if you can sit on its back and make it do whut you want, you are asking alot, and a horse will like you, but it is a special person indeed whose horse bonds with them. I believe it is the animals choice, and your animals have certainly chosen you! Kudos BM!

Blackmoorio, I agree - you're a true animal person, and very wise and mature for your age. Your school mates may or may not catch up to you (some will), but don't worry about the ones who don't, because you know some important things about life that they don't. I hope you may always have that wonderful bond with animals (and I also hope you'll be able to get another cat.)

Everytime I read this thread I get all choked up. :grouphug There are a lot of truly awesome people here. :exactly

My kitty had surgery today. I say kitty, but she is 14. If any of you are the praying types... please send some her way. She's a really special, really fat :) cat.

Guest lenny165

Moorio, you know people who feel this way about any animal are deeply sensitive and caring people, you are a rare breed. I know because I'm a grandmother of 6 children all unique and wonderful. But the ones who love animals including fish, frogs, turtles, bugs...they are the almost spiritual ones. You are young and believe me all this will pass as you grow older. Believe in yourself because it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, just what you think. You are very special, and when grade school, middle school, high school is over even college you'll look back and think all these other kids where such a waste of time. Find someone who shares your interests, your love for animals. My grandaughter volunteered at the local shelter you would be wonderful at than. She found friends there and just grew. It will get better trust me I'v lived a long time and truly I'd rather be with animals than human animals anytime. Us humans could learn a wonderful lesson from animals, they are pure love, always there to greet us even if we've had a bad day. Hang in there it all get's better. ;)

Guest lenny165
Everytime I read this thread I get all choked up.  :grouphug   There are a lot of truly awesome people here.    :exactly  

My kitty had surgery today.  I say kitty, but she is 14.  If any of you are the praying types... please send some her way.    She's a really special, really fat  :) cat.

324541[/snapback]

I'm the praying type so I'll say some kitty prayers for her. My cat is also 14 his name is Oliver. I know he's feeling his age because his back legs are stiff and he can't jump as good anymore. It will be a sad day when he leaves this world. But he has been truly loved in this house as is our dog, dwarf hamsters and our fish.

Archived