Fat Tummy!

I just brought home my beautiful new calico oranda, Freckles, :heart today along a with a little baby blue oranda named Einstein :heart ! I'm so excited...but the more I look at Freckles, she looks like her tummy is really fat near the base of her tail. I know charecteristically orandas are a deep-bodied and fat fish, and She's happy as a lark, but I just wondered if I am seeing things or if I should prepare for some egg laying? Help! I'm totally ignorant of the breeding process! :newfish

Welcome to the board. Have a look around there is a ton of information to help you keep the fish happy and healthy.

I guess the first thing you need to do is determine if she is really a she. In the breeding section I believe is a thread on how to determine the sex. How big is she? It is easier to do on larger fish.

I guess time will tell. I would say at this point if you are not ready for eggs or babies then if you see eggs to vacuum them up and not let them be fertalized, that is if the other is a boy..... :D

Welcome to Koko's!

A round stomach could be many things, ranging from being full of eggs, slightly obese, or, possibly, an internal parasite, although I personally have never had an experiance with internal parasites, so I wouldn't know from your description. (Since she seems happy, this probably isn't the problem.) One thing that may help you determine 'pregnacy' is by looking at how big Freckles is; if she's pretty small, she may not be of breeding age yet.

[b

:) Thank you for your welcome! And thank you for the great advice! Now that you say it, she or he I suppose :blink: , is way to small and her wen hasn't even really started to develop yet so she's probably only about 4 months old. I'm still learning these things! :newfish LOL!

Since she's small, that's probably just her body style. I happen to have an oranda who's body shape is quite round, but she's still the prettiest of my three orandas.

By the way, I love your user name! I feel the same way!

Archived