Pregnant Platy?

Guest Googles24

Guest Googles24

I have 10 mickey mouse platies in a 30 gallon tank and recently(over the last 2 weeks) i have noticed that one of the females has gotten REALLY fat. I dont know if she is pregnant or fed too much. if she is prgnant should i put her in a seperate tank so the babies wont get eaten by the other fish???

sounds like she is pregnant, i take it you have males too? i would say she has maybe a week to go at most, so if you can put her in a small tank with plenty of vegetation then thats the best solution. if you cant, then a breeding trap/net will do until she has the young.

hi, planted tanks works best for fry. breeding nets most of the time; stresses the mother out. if your platy is pregnant, you should see a dark area in the belly.

:huh: Is she still really fat? maybe she's just started giving birth? If she's not fat anymore,were there places for the fry to hide? Alot of fish will often eat babies if given the chance, :blink:

Guest PearlscaleFan

I had hardly anywhere for my fry to hide and they were sharing a 21g tank with three adults!! :o mabye some might of gotten sucked up by the filter or mabye they are hiding.........

:) sometimes platies do not get them all out in one go.

Guest Googles24

i covered the filter inlet with a piece of a panty hose, the first and last one she had was around 9 pm last night, and there are sooooo many plants, floating and anchored; and tons of places that they could hide in and mommy cant get to them.

She really is not very fat anymore, and as for that black spot you are suposta be able to see in their belly-i dont know if i didnt get exactly where it is or wasnt just looking hard enough-but i still cant see it!!

the belly should be brown like, its not as transparent as guppies but it should be fairly visible if shes still pregnant. many plants, theres your answer. the fry are hiding. just springle little dusts of food for them.

Archived