How Old?

akk0415

I got my girl in March but I am curious to know how old she really is. Does anyone know a way to tell?

I'm just so curious to know what to expect. I really want to know if she is stunted or if I can expect a big beautiful fish one day.

That is a really hard question to answer. In general, fish will continue to grow all their lives - so the larger the fish is, the older it is. But growth can be affected by a huge number of things - from genetics, to, most importantly, the care the fish got when it was teeny weeny. IF the fish went through any time when it had less than quality water, less than quality food, and less than large volume of water, its growth can be affected dramatically.

I have seen tiny fish grow dramatically. I got a little guy from a breeder - he grew to 5 inches in less than 6 months. At age 14 months, he was a monster. Omar, my oranda is less than 2 years old, and is already pushing 9 inches. But he is from large stock and has never had a bad day in his life.

On the other hand, a smaller breed (pearlscale or such) will not grow that fast.

If you are giving your fish the very best that is possible, and he is growing very slowly, chances are he is a bit older - 2 years or more. If you are giving him the best of the best and he is growing like a weed, chances are he is under 2.

Other than that, I do not know anyway to judge age. Someone once mentioned "rings" on scales, but I have never seen evidence of this myself. I tried looking once in the microscope, but was disappointed. Perhaps I did not know what to look for and goofed. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

I just love the fish and let them be what they will be. I assume that most, unless I know specifically, are well under a year when I get them. A supplier for a fish shop does not hang onto stock for any longer than necessary to get them to saleable size - and certainly not a year. So you can be sure they are under that. I just add on the time I have had them and have an "age".

:yeah:

Thanks. I sure hope she is young and that the water conditions she has endured with cycling her tank haven't caused any stunting. I want a big beautiful fish so I can say to all the people who think I am nuts to do all I do for her, "I told you so! " :P

I'll love her however she is, but holy cow I get a lot of flack for what I feed her, testing her water, changing her water.... If she got big and gorgeous (not that she's not beautiful already. :D ) I could at least point out that my work was not for nothing.

So I guess she might be a year or just over. No wonder she was eggbound recently!!!

Archived