A Little Progress, A Little Backslide

Guest boodleheimer

Guest boodleheimer

Hi all -

Laurie, thanks for all the suggestions below, from my first post (April 28th). :heart

Anyway, I let the fish fast for 2 days and now I've been feeding them nothing but cooked, shelled peas. However, the fish that has sunk to the bottom is looking worse.

He can't get the food unless I put a piece in front of his mouth with tweezers. Even then, he gobbles up 1/2, then runs away from me.

I feel so badly for the little guy, but I'll be keeping this up for as long as it takes to determine if he's going to get better.

Any suggestions as to how long you'd wait?

My tank is pretty spiffy - poisons are way low or absolutely zero (nitrATES/ITES, ammonia), pH is 7.5.

I'm getting antsy about treating the other's veiny, tattered fins. Think I ought to do medication now?

Thank you all again SO MUCH for your helpful posts!

Hi Boodleheimer

It's a bit difficult to answer your post because we don't know the background history without hunting through the forum for your previous threadt. It would be better if you could pick your old thread up again and add this post on to that - then we know where you're coming from and can help more. :)

Guest boodleheimer

I should have known to re-post the info first! Sorry about that!

Tank info ...

Nitrites: 0

Ph from tap: 7.0

Ph from tank: 7.5

Temperature: Don't have a heater or thermometer.

Ammonia: 0

Filtration: Penguin 170 biofilter.

Tank: 20 gallons

Fish: 2 orandas - both about 4 inches, including tails

Tank location: right next to a window - only place possible in a small house.

Aeration: Big ol' long air stone.

Recent changes: Got rid of all snails and as many of their eggs as possible. Took out plants for washing (more eggs) and took out rock to prevent injury.

I use a water conditioner every time new water is introduced to my tank - topping off & changes.

Water changes: 25% once per week.

Fishie #1: The Sinker (Louie). Has some tattered fins/tail. Has bubbles formed on bottom fins. He's unable to stay floating, but struggles around the tank, especially when fed. Has very little equalibrum, if that's what you call it with fish. Seems to sort of list to the side.

Fishie #2: Has some tattered looking fins/tail, but also has little red veins on them too - I thought this was septicemia. Hope I'm wrong! Some of his scales appear shiney, while others appear dullish, making him look as if he is missing scales.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for posting the info, it is hard to keep everyone's issues together without the info starring at us. ;)

I am wondering if the sinker is a boy or girl? Do you know? If it is a girl, she could be bound with eggs or worse yet impacted.

I am not sure where to go from here. How long has she been eating peas?

Do you have any medicated food?

Guest boodleheimer

Hi Laurie -

I don't know what the gender is. Not sure I can tell either one's gender.

I've been feeding the fish peas just the last 4 days or so.

He/she sunk to the bottom during a weekend we had away over a month ago! This was shortly after I changed the water in the tank, added a new filter, new air pump and new air stone. I keep thinking I did something wrong here.

I don't have any medicated food, just these tablets of antibiotics. I've never heard of medicated food!

I feel so sorry for the fish.

Any other thoughts?

Since you are here in the states you can order them online at a place called Goldfish connection. There are 2 types Medigold and Metromed. The first is an over all good antibotic food, this may help.

I would fast the fish a couple days and then start with the peas. If you do get the food, make sure to feed it exclusively for 10 days.

Guest boodleheimer

Hey Laurie! :hi

I got the sunken fish to eat 3-4 pieces of peas! Yay! I've already fasted the starving guys - I should rename them "Starving" and "Famished."

Thank you for the information on the medicated food. I'm gathering that it's better than the stuff we put into the water?

I'm guessing both fish need the medicine. I just don't think the sunk guy will get enough to eat. He'll only eat if it's floating in front of his face because he can't seem to get it off the bottom.

What do you think?

Archived