Odd Thingy

Guest VxShady

Guest VxShady

Ammonia Level: 0

Nitrite Level: 0

Nitrate Level: About 20ppm

Ph Level: 7.2

Ph OOT: 7.0-7.2

55 Gal running at least a few months now. Can't remember when I got it.

There's an emperor 400 and a Top Fin 60.

Twice a week I vaccuum the gravel. However long it takes me to vaccuum depends on how much water I take out. Usually around 30% twice a week I guess.

I use Prime every time I do a waterchange. No medications.

There are three Fantails, biggest being an inch and a half without tail. Two Ryukins, about 2 inches without tail. No new fish.

Their main diet is the gel food. And once in a while peas, corn, carrots, and oranges. When I'm lazy they get just flake food, soaked of course.

My unusual finding: This morning I woke up, and was watching them, and I noticed one of my Ryukins has this long stringy clearish thing hanging out of his mouth. Actually, now I'm looking at him and its gone. Hmm. Maybe he sucked it in. But it was hard to tell, but it looked like it was actually stuck to the inside of his mouth?

No unusual behavior. I just wanna make sure the big stringy thingy isn't something serious.

Well now I'm looking at my other Ryukin, and I noticed he has these two fine little air bubbles next to his gills, and they seem like they're attached to something thats attached to him. I can't see the something, but its almost like there's a fine hair or something dragging them around. The bubbles rarely touch his skin but for some reason they're still right there, know what I mean?

Don't know my chloramine levels. Tell me its nothing serious and I'm being paranoid. PLEASE!

:please

Guest VxShady

Well now the bubbles are gone too. <stares> Maybe they're doing a magic show cause they love me?

Occasionally air bubbles can get stuck to the fish's slime coat or the slime coat itself can form into strands or patches; it constantly renews itself, much like our skin, so it does change appearance a little from time to time. Nothing to worry about. :)

That said, I would suggest you keep an eye on the fish over the next week or so to make sure they do not have the beginnings of a parasite problem which is causing slime coat thickening. If you spot any changes post here with a description. :)

Guest VxShady

Gotcha Emma, thank you.

:unsure: Like.. umm.. I also have been noticing their dorsal fins going up and down a bit today. And as I sit here watching them now at this moment, one of them has yawned twice, two others have yawned once. Quite a bit, no? Uh oh. They're yawning some more. :wall

Please tell me its not what I'm thinkin it is. I THOUGHT YAWNING WAS CUTE!

Guest VxShady

I have a bubble wall that runs the entire length of the tank, plus an airstone. Then the two filters. I would think that is fine.

So what kind of changes do I need to be looking for?

Little stringy things with bubbles attached to them. Sounds like Saproglenia (common water mould), the little 'bubbles' could be the spores. Saproglenia loves to grow around the head and gill area, it feeds on microscopic particles of trapped food.

I'm not sure about the stringy thing you saw in your Ryukin's mouth.

The easiest way to treat saproglenia is to salt the tank, only a low amount is required, .1% or 1 teaspoon per gallon/4 litres.

Perhaps you could feed gelfood every second day to reduce the organic waste load. Processed foods, like flakes or pellets, are broken down more quickly and easily by your bio-bugs.

Guest VxShady

I did not know that. Hmm. I've been thinking about ordering some pro gold and trying that since most everyone on here gives it such rave reviews, but I always forget. I think the slime coat thing made me kind of paranoid now cause I've been watching them all day. Just did a vacuum and water change. And I've been wanting to ask something but its kind of weird. But I'm gonna do it. Hehehe. Do fish fart? Every once in a while theres lil bubbles comin out.

They most definately do. Sometimes simply because they swallow air, other times because of excess gas generated in their intestines. Another reason to consider varying their diet.

That's a corker. I was watching my fish one day and could have sworn he farted but then thought, no it must be my eyesight... glad i wasn't seeing things... 'Farting Fish', what next? :D

Guest VxShady

Yeah.. first time I saw it I didn't believe it either. My loaches do it to. So I'm gonna have to order some ProGold this payday and make that their staple. They have no manners either. Could say excuse me or sumthin.

Archived