Black Moor With White Lips

Guest PenelopeFish

Guest PenelopeFish

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that my black moor's lips have been turning whitish. Is this normal? Has he got ich?

PenelopeFish :heart

Penelope can you be more specific? Black is the most unstable of all the colors, however moors usually stay black well most of them anyway. But they have been known to change. I guess we need more info to tell you.

Ich doesn't look like 'white lips'.

Is the white area furry, like mould or fungus? This could be columanaris but my guess is if your fish had that it would be very sick and you would notice.

If the lips are normal in appearance, smooth etc, and the only difference you are noticing is the change in colour - my guess is that is exactly what your fish is experiencing.

As Laurie said, black is the most unstable of colours, and some so called "black moores" loose all their black and turn orange? A true moore will not loose it's colour and one of mine is whitish around the lip area too.

Guest PenelopeFish

You know, I've been looking at all the threads about ich, and I really don't think my black moor has it. I'm not sure he is changing color either. I think his lips are supposed to be white-ish. I know it sounds funny, but his lips look like his black velvet has been rubbed off. Like he has been kissing too much! He is very happy and healthy, so I am not going to worry about it. Thank you guys for your advice.

Everyone is so nice on this board. It's a breath of fresh air.

PenelopeFish :heart:heart:heart

My black moor went through the white lips and she is indeed lighting to gold. Even on her eyes. Her water temp is too high. I've heard to keep moors black that lower temps help. My tank temps fluctuate from mid 70's to 80.

It's very sad. I love that velvety black color. I am excited to see what's under there now though.

Archived