Trapdoor Snail

akk0415

:) I can tell you a little about the Trapdoor snails in the Vivaparid family of freshwater snails.. These snails are usually a grey to blue looking snail.As an adult,the biggest you will see them get is between 1/8 to 1/4 inches big.They are great in planted tanks for controlling algae.Often will be seen eating dead leaves off of plants and algae.They are sometimes called Mini-Mystery Snails because they kind of look like Brigs. You can keep them in an unplanted tank,but they seem to do better in planted tanks from what I've heard. Their eggs are deposited inside their shell,so you see live babies coming out. Some people that have very clean tanks have had a problem keeping them.Sounds like they thrive in the Greener Water algae type tanks. Now I'm not completely sure that this is the type that you purchased,but this is the only one that I know a little about. :)

This is what I ordered.

http://crayfishshop.com/product_info.php?c...&products_id=29

I have read they don't eat plants and love all kinds of algae. So we shall see. Anything I should do like quarantine him for a bit? Can they carry disease?

I ordered plants as well. So I am off on new adventures on every front. I've never had snails or plants.

:) That seems to be them! Only the colors i mentioned were the dull ones that most people have! :lol: We have just recently seen them in these other color's.I think he even mentions the fact that he's the only one who sells these color's on-line.I've never owned them,but I've been told by people who do,that they are great with plants/they don't overpopulate the tank,and that they definately help by eating any algae that they can find. I seem to recall reading somewhere that snails don't really carry any diseases.Now don't quote me on that,because I could be wrong.If you have some free time,you may want to check out Apple Snails.net They have alot of great info on all sorts of subjects that deal with snails/health/snails with plants,etc...

I have been on applesnail.net a bit but not nearly enough. I kind of thought it didn't apply since I got trapdoor snails. I had to be different. :rolleyes: I'll spend some more time there. Thanks.

Now I kind of regret only getting one. What was I thinking?!! I don't think the trapdoor snails are hermaphroditic. That's why they are slow to populate. They actually have to find another snail and be in the mood. :D

Did you see those purple apple snails on crayfishshop.com? I want one of those as well. They are gorgeous!!! I never thought I'd see something so vivid.

I have purple striped snails.The pics (to me)always make the snail color's look bolder. On Applesnail,if you go into the Discussion area You'll find different posts throughout about Trapdoor Snails.Won't be alot,grant you,but you'll find something new out I'm sure.The snails that you'll see on the forum will be the Blue/Grey ones that I was talking of earlier.Not too many people have had a chance to get the ones that you did-in those color's. You did really well only getting one.I have a really bad habit of buying in threes......Don't know why,but I do... :rolleyes::lol :There' s a few people on there that sell Trapdoor Snails along with Brigs and such.Some really beautiful color's on the Brigs. :yeah:

I am still new to fish keeping and very leary. I would hate for this little guy not to work out and then have to find a home for him. My husband would die if I had a snail tank. :lol: That's why I only got one. I'm a fraidy cat. :hide::D

Archived