Sign in to follow this  
Guest golden_goldy93

Can Goldfish Eat Cheese Strands?

Guest golden_goldy93

My friend says to put cheese strands in the tank for them to eat but i'm not sure if i should. He says he puts them in his all the time.

I've never heard of that before. I wouldn't do it.

Guest golden_goldy93

O.K.

I'll take your advise and not do it.

When you think about it, Dairy foodgroups are something goldfish are not likely to encounter in the wild. :lol: moooo

Edited by Fishmerised

I also agree not to put it in there. It doesnt suprise me that the goldies would eat it, after all they eat their own poop, but its probably not very good for them.

:rofl an aquacow... thats hilarious!

aqauacow :lol:

I'm not sure if Goldies have the enzymes to break down dairy?

You could check the food thread for a really detailed answer, because I'm sure somebody over there knows for sure, but I think I've been told, No, bad for fish.

Besides, there are so many other good things for fish to eat -- broccoli, lettuce, orange slice, peas, plankton... They will never miss cheese if they don't get any, and will probably love the stuff they can have, if they're anything like my oinkers. :D

--Mav

Guest golden_goldy93

wow, goldfish can really eat all that stuff. that's kewl. I'm gonna start giving them some.

Actually goldfish can eat small bits of chedder cheese, but it's not a good idea to give it to them very often as their digestive system isn't meant to break it down. So it can be given as a rare treat.

Guest golden_goldy93

So lettuce and all that other good stuff can be part of thier regular diet.

That's right g.g93, just a few things to keep in mind before you feed your fishies a banquet. B)

1. Reputable companies spend millions of dollars on research and development to find the right combination of ingredients to give your fish all the nutritional requirements they need. Therefore, in my opinion, commercial foods should be the mainstay of gf diet. (Unless you are dataguru and can provide a nutritional breakdown of any food you prepare)

2. Homemade foods or unprocessed veges & fruit take longer to be broken down by the biobugs in your tank. It is very easy to pollute your tank if you use too much "natural" food. Once again this is just my opinion, but extra care needs to be taken in smaller tanks.

oo! never heard of feeding ure fish cheese before!! lol!

Guest golden_goldy93

ok kewl, i'll remember that. My fish has just died though so now I only have one left.

Guest calico4

I dont feed them cheese anymore. I thought it was ok becuse goldfish are like carp and cheese is good bait for carp ( it was funny watching them eat it :lol1 )

-calico

Guest queentut

sorry to hear about your fish what happened?