Shubunkin With Fish Tb?

Guest fanobi

Guest fanobi

Hi

I have a 160 litre tank (4 foot) with 6 goldfish in it, an Aqua clear filter, some live plants and an air curtain.

The water quality is fine: the PH is neutral, there is no ammonia (don't know about the nitrates/nitrites, but if there is no ammonia I wouldn't think there is a problem), the water here is a little soft but not too bad. I add water conditioner and de-clorinator to the water each time it is changed. I change the water 50% every 3 weeks or so and occaisionally add some rock salt.

None of my other gold fish are sick and the sick goldfish isn't acting particularly sick either. He has what looks like grey spots under the skin that push out the scale and release what looks like a fungus. The spots are along each side mostly towards the tail.

The pet shop told me my fish may have TB. Not sure this is the case as he isn't wasting, but I have bought some tetracycline tablets to treat him, just in case!

I have been treating him with primafix for the last 2 weeks without result.

My question is how often can you add these tablets to the tank. I didn't think to ask the pet shop and I can't find any information on how often is safe to repeat the dosage.

Has anyone any idea what else could be the problem I have never seen this before and I have had this particular tank for about 10 years. I did add a new goldfish about 6mths ago, but the rest of them are several years old.

Thanks

Fanobi

Fanobi I am just leaving for work and can't help you with the TB stuff, I am not familar with it and can't do the research right now. But in the mean time. We will need you to answer all the quesitons at the top of the page. This info is so important in getting the whole picture to help you.

Also I would highly recommend to test for the nitrates and nitrites, they can be high or at problem levels without having any ammonia present. Especially the nitrates.

Post back soon with the info.

Guest fanobi

Okay $50.00 later I have nitrate and nitrite test kits.

My nitrites are 0

Nitrates are currently at 80, which is to be expected as I have been treating my tank for nearly two weeks so I have taken the everything out of the filter except the sponge and I have also slowed my underground filtration as well, the 25% water change I did on the weekend really isn't enough to make a difference.

Ammonia - still nothing

PH - still neutral to slightly alkaline - blue/green

PH out of tap - don't know

160ltr 4 foot tank - running about 10 years

Water conditioner - it removes chlorine

Medicine added - primafix and tetracycline (I have told they are fine together)

6 fish - all about 15cm or smaller nose to tail

new fish added 6 months ago - to replace one that died, I never have more than 6

My fish eat wardleys fish flakes, alternated with fish crumble, I don't give them fresh food but I do supply them with plants from my other tank and they eat those.

None of them has lost their appetite or is acting strangely

I have no idea about chloramines.

did it start off looking like blisters that then popped, leaving ulcers?

forgot to ask as well, is there any signs of redness around these ulcers at all?

any chance of a pic too?

if it was tb you would be seeing a dramatic weight loss.

Guest fanobi

No it looks just like acne actually, you can see a small grey circle under the skin, which then pushes the scale away from the body and the grey stuff oozes out (sorry this is a bit graphic), the area looks irritated (ie red) but that's about it. It doesn't leave a hole in his side like an ulcer and when it starts to clear up the scale goes back down. I think the purafix is keeping any secondary infection at bay, but he does seem to be developing more of them.

The dramatic weight loss got me too, that's why I didn't think it was TB.

I will take a photo in the morning, I think I just give it to Koko to post?

Guest fanobi

It turns out my camera doesn't have enough grunt to get a good photo. Though I do think the tetracycline is starting to have an effect. Fingers crossed.

furunculosis looks like a type of acne and usually has some redness to it but this is the closest i could find.

if the spots werent releasing any gunge then it would be fish tb.

the treatment for furinculosis is furazolidone powder.

Guest fanobi

Thank you Sandy

I spoke to the pet shop about furunculosis and now have a specific treatment for it. The australian equivalent of furazolidone powder I'm told.

Apparently this is quite common with the change of weather? Living in the tropics I wouldn't think weather change was much of a problem to be honest.

Anyway thanks for your help

Sharon

Archived