Tired Fish..

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Can a fish get tired from pooping too much?? how often should a fish poo? After feeding Buddy dinner, he's been pooping non stop this past hour...i hope it won't strees or tire him out...

Hi...I am very new to this so I don't want to give out any bad advice or diganosis.

I have learned more in here than I ever thought possible B) So what I have learned is that goldies have no stomachs and there for they can't digest food so they make waste quite often...This is also why they don't need to be fed as often as I once thought!! I used to feed them 2 to 3 times a day....and now I have learned even though they like to eat they only need to be fed once a day or every other day...don't know bout your goldies but mine now love peas.

I have found Sharon to be very, very helpful and also bigredwillie? I think that is her...her name is Jessica I know.

That is a good question I guess if we had no tummies and pooped as much as goldfish do we would maybe kinda tired :idont

Hope this helps a little otherwise I am sure the others would be happy to help you out on this one!!!

:)

Hi and welcome to kokos!

It sounds like you might be overfeeding your fish. What are you feeding and how much? And how often also.

It is best to feed once or twice a day (even though they beg like crazy for more) and only give what they will eat in a couple of minutes.

I have never heard of fish getting tired of pooping but it could lower the water quality in the tank.

Water quality is so important to healthy fish and overfeeding (and too small of a tank) can cause all sorts of problems.

:)

I am VERY new to this but here are my questions. My experience is minimal. How long has he been pooping? Is his belly round? How often do you feed him? My fish did this literally off and on for a several weeks. She sat on the bottom a lot in the meantime. I had several issues... water quality was poor as I was cycling the tank, I was learning how to feed her, and it turned out my he was a she and she was eggbound and very uncomfortable. Here is my advice, this is what I did before the eggs showed up all over my tank and my fish got better. I didn't feed her for 2 very long days, then I fed peas only for 3 days. Voila! Eggs, eggs everywhere and a happy dancing fish!

I don't know if this is your problem but it sounds a lot like what we went through. I was exhausted watching her poop for hours upon hours and looking so... well, pooped out. I would post in the disease forum because lots of the experts are so helpful there. You will need to be prepared to answer questions about tank size, water quality, what's in your tank, what conditioners and meds you may have tried.

I'm certain someone more experienced will come along with more definite ideas for you.

Good luck! And welcome to koko's!

Guest IluvMyBuddy

thanks for everyone's replies. I feed Buddy three times a day. I feed him TetraFin flakes and enough for him to consume in five minutes. Also, the second time i feed him i throw him about 3-4 peas untiil dinner in which i do the same as breakfast.

Guest VxShady

Yeah I think you're over feeding the little guy. It might be a good idea to fast him for a day or two so he can clear out his system. And are you soaking the flakes in tank water for at least one minute before giving it to him?

I feed mine twice a day and soak her flakes or pellets in tank water. I try to feed either frozen or flake foods in the morning and some sort of fresh fruit or veggie at night. It's easy to over feed because they are so much fun to watch. I have to curb the urge.

a GF will poop as food allows. i dont think GF can be tired from pooping too much though. however, what color is the poop? theres a GF poop site on kokos that explains everything you need to know. :)

Guest Morten33

I am sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read your post. I am sooo NOT making fun of you, but that was the funniest thing i have ever read in my life!

I will agree that you are feeding WAY to much. I know the food says to feed enough for them to consume in 5 minutes but in my experience that is just flat out wrong. If your fish is 3 inches long with out tail, I would feed 3 to 4 flakes two times a day, and 1/2 a pea every other day. Goldfish are called "dirty" fish because they do poop a lot. But lowering how much you feed them will help a lot, and will be much more healthy for them, AND help your water chemistry in check

Good luck!

Emily

Archived