Horrible Treatment To Fish

:cry1 I hate posting this, because its been said soooooo many times on this board, but im sooo sad about it, that I have to rant about it to someone.

In a months period of time, two new petcos have opened up in my town. There are now a total of three of them (one of them has been around for years, and they took the best best best care of their fish and plants, and everyone who works there has worked there for years, and really knows what their talking about). Well, I went to the new one, which ive only been in one other times when they had their grand opening. i really didnt want to go in there, after what i saw on their grand opening (dead fish, lots of ick, finrot, disease everywhere), but my fiance left the frozen blood worms out all night, and my puffers needed to eat today, so I had to go get some fresh ones. Well, I started off looking at the tropica;s, which seemed to look a bit better then before (maybe all the old ones died, and they got a new batch... have no idea), and then I looked at the plants, which were in excellent condition (I ended up buying four of them) and then i got to the goldies. The oranda tank had horrible fin rot. Alot of this fish had it so bad, their fin were completly gone, and down to nothing. There was a dead oranda in there, and its eyes had already been picked clean, and was beaing demolished by the other goldies. Another tank was full of ick and popeye. Two pearlscales had such bad SBD, and looked sooo bloated and consitpated, that they probably didnt make it to the end of the day. I saw sooo sad. The guy who helped us was clueless, and was the supervisior of the fish department. i got my plants, blood worms, and saved a betta (im also a sucker for bettas) and left. I would have went somewhere else, but I didnt have time. Im soo angry they werent treating the goldies, or even have an under opservation sign on the tank. There was a tropical tank that had a not for sale sign, under observation thing on it, but those fish looked healthy compared to every single one of their goldies! Im soo enraged!

I really want to do something about this. I feel like I have to! If i dont, then no one else will. I have no idea what to do.... how to make my voice heard. Their hiring right now, but not for that department, and Im a full time student and mother, so I cant do that. Has anyone else had experience speaking up about this kinda of treatment????

That's so sad Jessica, perhaps ring the original mmm store and ask them if they'll help the new guys. If it is one large company the old store should help the new. If each store is franchised - well, they wouldn't want the competition.

Otherwise just sent an email or letter to the head office and tell them how disappointed you are in their staff training and fish care.

I know the manager of the old mmm is the manager of this new one. Not sure what that means. Ive sent letter before to different places, and never get a reply, or notice any change, but it doesnt hurt. I just dont understand why people can get away with treating fish cruely, but if it was any other animal, its not ok. i just dont get it!

Hi Jessica...

I am on your side on this one!! that really ticks me off also!! I am also a involved in rescuing Boxers in Wisconsin.....So animal cruelty hits home with me.

It's funny that you mention mmm, I was also there tonight as well as vvvv. And well to be honest their store is falling apart...all the fuzzy critters are in dirty cages, reptiles are looking pretty sickley also?....and the fish well don't get me going,actually everytime I have been there in the past 6 months the fish look the worst to me.....my son loves to look at them so I always go over there with him even before I had fish of my own and still they looked ill to me.

There are always tons of dead ones and they seem to just leave them in the tank??? kinda mean if you ask me especially when kids are looking at them wondering why they are dead!! Their fish area is always such a mess and when you go to ask a question....well good luck finding someone who knows something, it's always just a minute I will get someone to help you, then they have to get someone elese....etc...

So I think this is sooooo strange that you had mentioned this tonight. I think writing to the corporate offices maybe would be a good idea..Let me know what you do I would be happy to help out and write a letter also if you think that would help out any.......

Hey, froggydella, I was gonna send u a PM, but you arent a full member yet. But anyways. I sent them an email today. Heres what i said:

Hi.

I had a few concerns over your recent store openings in the Vancouver, Washington area. Ive always been pleased with products ive bought at mmm in the past, and the treatment of their fish. I recently went to both of the grand openings in vancouver, and I was not please with what I saw. Alot of the fish had ick, finrot, popeye, dropsy, SBD, and other diseases, and these fish were still being sold to clueless customers. The employees knew nothing about any of the fish they were selling. I recently went back to one of the new mmm's, to find almost every tank filled with disease. Its pretty sad to see every single goldfish tank infested with finrot, ick, and especially dead fish. None of the employees seemed to care, or even know what was wrong with them. One even said that goldfish dont live long anyways. I have been keeping fish for years now, and know for a fact that that is not true. I am very disappointed with the way these two stores are being run. When i tried to speak to someone about the treatment of their fish, they brushed me off. Honestly, I dont think I will ever spend anymore time in your stores. And it does make me sad, because I used to spend alot of money at mmm. I personally think that you need to hire people who acctually know who to care for fish, and not just some young kid who is clueless, and only knows how to scoop them out and put them in a bag.

It would only allow 1500 characters, so thats all I could get in. Im also going to send them a letter. If you want the addy, its:

mmm Animal Supplies, Inc.

Customer Relations Team

9125 Rehco Road

San Diego, CA 92121

Guest VxShady

If you call them.. they have to respond. I doubt they're going to hang up unless you start verbally abusing them outright. LETS FLOOD THE SWITCHBOARDS!

Hi Jessica,

Whats a pm?

Well I think your letter was good and I think maybe if some other people on here think the same thoughts we do then maybe we could all make a differece. Either by a phone call or a letter....it's worth a try! Every little bit will matter. It is so strange to me....I usually always go to mmm myself and it's has been so crappy there lately I have been going to vvvv....So maybe it is the managers who are hiring kids that don't know much and just think it would be "cool" to work at a petstore..I worked at vvvv when I was in highschool we had to take tests to make sure we knew how to answer customer questions properly.

I think I may go ahead a write a letter myself and see what happens....their mailboxes are gonna be filled and the phones ringing off the hook if we all pull together and voice our concerns!!

Good Work!! Glad someone out there thinks similar to me :D Animals are people too :) Keep me posted and I will do the same.

Guest VxShady

I always get my fish from the vvvv rather then the mmm. The mmm near me always has the fish I want, like the bigger plecos and stuff, but it seems that all of the tanks have sick fish in them, and only a few here and there are actually "under observation." The goldy tanks being the worst of course. Especially the so called "feeder fish."

See, the mmm that has been here for years and years, like 15 years, is in wonderful condition. The people who work there have worked there for years, they keep fish themselves, they take excellent care of their fish and plants. I know the people who work there pretty well, and every day they have a clipboard, and two or three times a day they go and observe the fish, and take any notes about possible sickness, or any little thing, take water tests. they are sooo good to their fish. Its the only place I will buy plants also. They are always in wonderful condtion (all ive gotten have done awsome) the guy who always gets them for me knows every thing about them, and all of their fish. He even points out plants that are better for goldies etc.

So when the two new petcos opened up (they opened two in like a month!) I was really excited because it was closer to home (I drive 45 minutes to the good mmm). Well they absolutely suck. Its not even like the old ones. Its huge, and all fancy looking, and all the bells and whistles. The people who work there no nothing, and dont care to learn anything about the animals they are caring for. its nuts!

I think its great people are pulling together, and telling them what they think. Its time that companies like this start treating their animals better.

By the way, a PM is a private message, that gets sent directly to you. I dont think you get a PM inbox or can send any PM's until you reach 200 posts.

Archived