Just How Big Will My Goldies Get?

Okay....So I went to the petstore tonight to kinda price out a new tank for my fish....I was looking at the goldfish they had there and holy crap :yikes I saw the biggest black moor and calico I have ever seen!!!

What I would like to know is are my 2 finned freinds going to get this big at some point? I had planned on starting with a 29 gal or maybe a 45 gal depending on the price?....But should I just go bigger if they are going to get that big?

I don't know what would end up being the money saving thing to do in the end I don't want to end up with a ton of tanks I am not using...well actually I don't want any un-used tanks cause I will just fill them with more :goldfish: !!

Thanks.......

:D Hi Della,Going by my experience personally ,I would buy the biggest tank that I could afford.Goldfish tend to become an addiction quite fast.I have the many tanks to prove it! :lol: People tend to not realize just how much space a goldie will eventually take up.It's a good thing that you got to see those big goldies-I don't run into that very often,& if I would have seen them,the Black Moor would have been mine! :yeah: It's really hard to figure out just how big your goldies will get.Genetics play a big part in that and also conditions they live in /food given,etc.I have a baby Oranda that I got off a member here last year when it was 12 weeks old and a very tiny little thing.I have now had her 1 year,and she seems to be my biggest fish-Measures just about 8 inches!!!! :yikes She's a beast!! haahahaha. I also got a group of fish online from someone who sent fish that were totally diseased & sick when I got them.It took months to get them healthy,and they have grown somewhat,but I can tell that they will pretty much never reach the size of my baby oranda. They have been stunted for life because of a number of things.It's really hard to guess how big your fish will get-at least you got to see their potential in the fish that you saw at the Petstore. :) Starting out with a new tank can be very costly,but let me advise you-even if it takes extra months to get it all together,RESEARCH,buy the best-because if you don't you'll be disappointed & end up spending even more money.Again,believe me ,I know!!!! Never skimp-you'll regret it.Do it right the first time & you'll be happier in the long run.It's a costly investment but with the right filter's ,lighting ,heater's it will give you the best chances on keeping your fish happy/healthy. A smoothe running tank makes the goldfish keeper very very happy.

:bighug Sharon.....

Thanks so much you are so awesome!! and very helpful also I might add and Jessica has been very encouging also. I have a 2 year old so I think she knows that this is a multi tasking kinda thing :)

I don't know why I am so nervous about getting this new tank I guess I don't want to see myself fail. :thud WOW...You should of seen those 2 goldies in there they were huge...No joke.

I guess I am just overwhelmed in a way I have so many things already going on with my son and all my other pets..including a puppy!! and he is wild!!! My husband just asked me tonight at the petstore if I was sure I wanted to get into this fish stuff, I said yes...I don't know whats in store for me but I am willing to try in a way it's a hobby and after you get everything adjusted properly I think I will be very proud and have a sense of accomplishment....

:thanks

:) Starting out is the hardest part. Figuring out what you need,sizes,filter's etc.As I said Research is the best thing to do.Most of us have limited income so you don't want to waste money on things that will disappoint you. Cycling the tank is the next hard step.It's not only time consuming,it can be rather scarey.It's all about water params,and a test kit is a MUST when you have a fish tank.You can do a fishless cycle which is completely safe,as there are no fish involved(although it does take longer) Or,you can do it with a fish-which of course is harder on you and the fish/Truthfully,I've always cycled my tanks with fish.Theres plenty of reading on cycling on this forum.Read it again & again until you feel that you know it.So many people kill their fish at the cycling time because they have no clue on how it all works-which is sad,because if you take a minute,the information is all here for you. It is alot of work in the beginning,but once things are in order, it is so worth it. The only thing after that is a schedule of a weekly water change & a good gravel vac.If you have the right equipment,it makes life so much more easier. Believe it or not,you'll get that water change down pat just like any other household chore.It will only take a short time once you establish a pattern,and get cvomfortable doing it. If you maintain it properly,it doesn't take much work at all.You saw those huge fish,and that's the last tip I will say.When people buy a thirty gal. tank & put three small goldies in it,the tank looks so empty that it's really tempting to go out and buy a few more fish.Don't do it........That is where problems begin.....Once again I've learned by experience and mistakes. :rolleyes: Oh just wanted to say that for some strange reason,I happen to like your User name.......Don't know why....... :yeah:

:exactly

I am a frog lover!!!! Let me guess you are one also???....lol

In fact I used to have frogs but they have all passed on now, saw 2 cute tree frogs tonight at the store but I had to hold myself back on them.....

Just have to tell you that you are sooooo awesome :rockon Wish you lived next door so you could help me with this new tank...ha ha ha

Well I am off again to look at more tanks tommorow so I hope I come home with my new home for the kids....I got a shopping list from Jessica so I think I am set.

I am sure my husband will be impressed when he see's how much money I have spent :unsure:

Hey!! I just wanted to say you are so smart for posting here before buying. I think you will be just fine.

My piece of advice for cycling with a fish is buy Bio Spira. I worked and worked on water changes and testing my water, fretting over high ammonia for a month or more. I bought Bio Spira and boom my tank was jumped started. Two weeks later I was done.

I had to search for it. Finally, I looked at the manufacturers website and found out where I could get it. If it's around, get it. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck. You are already way ahead of me by doing the research ahead of time instead of after the fact. Welcome to koko's, BTW. Let us know how things go. :)

Sharon is awesome, isn't she? :D

Archived