Are There Diseases Associated With The Wen?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Guest IluvMyBuddy

I've never raised a goldfish before so i dont know what sorts of signs there are according to growth. I wantto make sure there is nothing wrong with my fishy...also, there has been an increase in appetite from my fish; is that normal???

and should i feed it more if it's begging for more food??

:) Hi,Are these questions coming because you have noticed a change in your goldies wen? When their wen starts growing,sometimes they will have little flecks of white fluff-almost fungus like for lack of a better word.That is totally normal for new growing wen.Now if you're seeing something that looks red,or sore looking,or something lump like or ulcer like-that is a totally different thing.As for Goldies appetites growing,I guess as they do get bigger,their appetites will grow with that.Don't let the "Begging for food" get to you though.Goldies are water piggies,and will beg for food from sunrise to sunset. I try to do two small meals a day.One in the am,& one in the pm.Only enough for them to eat in a couple minutes. If you overfeed your fish,it makes keeping your tank harder to maintain-may make your goldfish more vulnerable to swimbladder disease,etc. Always better to underfeed than overfeed. ;)

:exactly I agree with Devs.

My goldies are also absolute piggies! :rofl

They would eat all day long. I swear... I dont see how they could eat so much. Although it can be hard to resist them when their begging for food, you cant give in. I also feed my goldies once in the morning, and once in the evening, and only feed enough for them to eat it in 2 minutes. Every once in awhile they get an orange slice to munch on for an hour.

I swear, goldies live to eat. I wish i could eat all day and look that good.... LOL

Guest IluvMyBuddy

yea, there has been white blemishes on my fishes wen, and his appetite has grown, but his size doesnt seem to have gotten bigger...

their wens wont grow at the same pace as the rest of their bodies.... with my experience anyways. my old oranda got really big, but his wen got alot bigger in that time then he did.

I now have another oranda, and his wen is growing pretty rapidly, and he hasnt grown too much since ive gotten him.... or at least I dont notice it.

:) Sometimes when you see them all the time,it is harder to notice any growth.I never notice until my daughter visits & says"Holy crap Mom-they're huge!,what the heck are you feeding them,Steroids?" :rofl

Guest IluvMyBuddy

hahahahaah!! that's funny! yea i see my fish everyday throughout the week. except on weekends, but when i get back I see some change in him...what's gross though, is that whenever my fish poops, he turns right around and eats it! is that normal, let alone HEALTHY??

LOL, Devs your sooo right. My sister comes down to visit every once in awhile, and always to see the fish, and is always shocked to see how much bigger they have gotten, and im always like "what are you talking about, they look the same to me last time you were here" She thinks I feed them steriods also! I just take good care of them... thats all.

Also, its totally normal for them to eat their own poop, or even their tank mates.... they dont digest their food completly, so sometimes they do it twice (LOL) what makes me laugh is when a goldie has a stream of poop coming out his behind, and another goldies starts munching on it before the fish has even stopped pooping...... gross.... but happens all the time! :rofl

Archived