The No Eye Fish

Guest lenny165

Guest lenny165

I posted before about my fish that lost both eyes, I still think something was wrong with her when I bought her. Since she lost her eyes :cry1 I was ready to put her down but she eats and swims aroung and seems to know when she gets close to the glass. I call her up to feed her and she usually goes to one corner so I drop her food there. Should I have put her down, she seems like she's adjusted to being without eyes. It's quite shocking when someone new comes in and sees her, but I love her :heart What do you all think?

I think, since she seems to function normally without eyes, that you shouldn't put her down. I've read that goldfish can smell and hear; they also use their lateral line system to feel pressure that signals sound and other vibrations in the water. While a goldfish does use its sight, it's not exceedingly important to them.

She sounds like she's doing fine!

NOOOOO! Don't put her down! She is happy and healthy! Most goldfish have horrible eyesight anyways, and they rely more on vibrations like Roano mentioned. She seems like a very special and happy fishy :D

:) Hey lenny,Nice to meet you! "Put your Goldfish down just because it can't see"?Oh no.....I don't think so.We as sight seeing people always feel so horrible for those who can not see.I guess that is normal though.Your fish may have special needs now,but beyond that,he sounds totally healthy & happy.I have a couple Lionhead Goldies with one eye.In fact the one female has been going through a spawning,and it looks as if she's losing the other eye.It crushed me to see this,but in watching her,I notice that she still swims around quite normal,digging through gravel & such,The only thing that you need to do,is keep an eye on her & make sure that she is getting her fair share of food. I think eventually that I will have a tank for all my eye problem fish. Please don't put her down.Goldfish have a huge zest for life,and can overcome quite a few things.Good luck with your fish! ;)

At a fish shop, I once scooped up half a dozen baby orandas in a plastic basin and spent half an hour selecting the one with perfect colouration, form, fins, tail, wen.

I got home, and proudly showed him off to my family.

My wife looks at him, then at me, and curtly asked why I bought the fish.

I started to point out the perfection of the specimen and my abilty to pick him, when I suddenly saw that he only had one eye!!

My wife nearly died of laughter at the look on my face.

"Popeye" spent about a year on his own, and thrived in isolation. Unfortunately, he couldn't compete with other fancy fish, even Black Moors that I introduced to the tank.

I would suggest that noifish be kept on his own.

Slugger

Guest lenny165

Thanks to all of you, Bess is doing fine she has addapted well your right I was feeling sorry for her she does come for food when I call her. I put sinking food in first for the others to go after then I call her and tap on the top of the tank and she know to start looking. Amazing she's holding her own. I was sick for weeks when this happened. But like blind people she has enhanced her other senses. ;) we should have a group of disapled fish people, toooo funnnny.

Thanks Lenny

Guest lenny165
:) Hey lenny,Nice to meet you! "Put your Goldfish down just because it can't see"?Oh no.....I don't think so.We as sight seeing people always feel so horrible for those who can not see.I guess that is normal though.Your fish may have special needs now,but beyond that,he sounds totally healthy & happy.I have a couple Lionhead Goldies with one eye.In fact the one female has been going through a spawning,and it looks as if she's losing the other eye.It crushed me to see this,but in watching her,I notice that she still swims around quite normal,digging through gravel & such,The only thing that you need to do,is keep an eye on her & make sure that she is getting her fair share of food. I think eventually that I will have a tank for all my eye problem fish. Please don't put her down.Goldfish have a huge zest for life,and can overcome quite a few things.Good luck with your fish! ;)

323540[/snapback]

Hey Dev's I see you put mature on your info. I had put my age in the beginning but I thought my age (very mature) would not get to much response so I changed to vm too. Thanks to you

Sounds like your fish is doing very well without eyes. I almost bought an oranda without eyes a few weeks ago. I saw her at vvvv and couldn't buy her at that time. I went back a few days later and she was gone. I hope she went to a good home :)

I am "mature" also, so I just put "over 21" in my avatar. I got the idea for that from another forum member :D

Guest lenny165
She sounds like such a sweet fish! I think its awsome that youve kept her, and shes doing sooo well. Congrats! I have a tetra that is missing an eye. Although he has some sight, I can tell somewhat of a difference then with the other tetras, but he keeps his own.

323938[/snapback]

How did he loose his eye. I still haven't figured out how this happened I think something was wrong with her when I bought her, eyes were huge and all black and pushed out a little. When the one eye fell out I treated them with antibiotics but it was already to late. I did save the eyes on the other pop belly one is normal now the other is still black maybe i should treat again.???

Archived