How Vital Is It For Fish To Get Sleep?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Guest IluvMyBuddy

I don't think my goldfish sleeps everynight and i was wondering if sleep contributes to fish growth. I've had my Oranda Goldfish for about two months and it looks the same...How long does it take goldfish to grow?

I think goldfish growth depends on how much gallonage per fish and the water chemistry in the tank. Also, fish grow larger with water changes; apparently they put off a growth inhibitor, and water changes help disperse this chemical; more about htis was pinned in the Water Chemistry subforum of Goldfish Tanks by Ranchugirl.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=7981

Having a period of dark every night is a very good thing for a fish. IF they never get the dark/quiet time, they can be very stressed and will not grow as well or thrive as well.

I make a rule in this house. Once the room with the fish tanks in it has the lights out and the fish lights are out NO ONE is allowed to turn a light on again until morning. I get really cranky if that happens for it can stress and startle the fish.

They need their beauty sleep. :D

Fish can also sleep at funny times. Mine have an afternoon nap when the house is quiet, before the kids come home from school.

Sometimes I peek at my fish under the cover late at night and they are still foraging. They always sleep in the wee hours of the morning though, if I get up for a drink or something and take a peek, they're sound asleep.

I have a black ranchu which I have had for six months and he has only grown a tiny bit, whereas my bubble eye who used to be the same size as my ranchu is twice the size. They are in a 12 gallon at the moment and I do weekly water changes. I think growth has to do with generics as well. I have bought fish the same size and one has grown way bigger than the other in a tank that allows 10 gallons per goldfish. Regular water changes and a good diet are the key to growing fish and a steady water tempreture of 18c - 22c :D IMO

Guest IluvMyBuddy

should i get a towel and cover the tank while i study late at night? the light is almost always on in this room 'cause i'm always studying...would that help my fishy go to bed??

I think that would be a good idea (the towel, cover thing).

My fish tanks are all over the house so the only way to keep their bedtime regular is to turn off the tank lights and cover the tank. If they can't see out they won't get distracted or scared, or think more food is coming. ha ha

Use a lightweight fabric that breathes - such as a part of a bed sheet. It's not so much how dark the tank is as long as the light is dim.

My goldies also have a nap time during the day, and then sleep in the middle of the night. I always notice that they take a nap right around the time my son takes a nap. He can be a noisy little guy, so the goldies probably get some peace and quite when he takes his nap.

Also, after I shut off the lights in the goldie tank, they usually search for a food for another hour or so, and then go off to their sleeping spots. Each one has their own spot. Its funny.

Fish do need sleep. They dont have eye lids, so its kinda hard to sleep when you have all that light in your eyes. I think its just as important for them to sleep as it is for us. If we dont sleep, were fatigued, tierd all day, mope around, sometimes end up getting sick and stressed if we dont sleep for days...... probably the same type of thing for them.

i just put a towel over partial parts of my tank.  is that okay?

323975[/snapback]

I think so, cover the front and leave the back uncovered if you like, or whatever you think is most practical, I don't know the layout of your room and the tank.

Archived