I Had An Idea!

Ruffledmumkin

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here. If it needs to be moved that is fine.

I had an idea on how to contain small, slow, or injured fish in your tank. That way you don't have to move them and stress them out. I'm trying this out with one of my fish and it seems to be working pretty well. This is what I did:

I took a large clean strawberry container. The ones that are clear, and snap closed on top. I cleaned out 2 all plastice fishfood containers. I then put the fish food containers in the strawberry container, and attached them to the inside with a rubberband. You slide the rubberband through one of the vents on the side, and onto the food container. The fish food containers keep the strawberry container afloat. Now you can put it in your tank, and place the fish in it. Then snap the top closed. The vents in the strawberry container let plenty of air and water flow through. There are even holes in the top so that you can feed through them, or put a bubbler through for even more air. Don't worry about air at the top, the food containers will float it high enough so that there is about an inch of space for the fish to get a breath of air. I drew a picture (not a very good one) so that ya'll could get an idea of what I am talking about.

Let me know if ya'll think it is a good idea. :D

Ok I just tried to post a picture with photo bucket, and it wouldn't let me. Why is that?

This post has been promoted to an article

Thanks Robert! Let me know if you try, and how it works for you.

If anyone else tries it, let me know what for, and if it works. I'm just curious to see if it is actually a good idea, and if it helps anyone. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
:D I've been using that kind of method for a long time.You can get slotted plastic baskets at the dollar store which work good. I've even gone as far as putting mesh or Panty hose (because it stretches) around it and using it for fry. ;)

How do you float yours? I love using these, and I don't care if I have to throw it out. I'll just eat some more berries, and have a new one. :D Maybe I should put it in for tip of the month, or is it too old? Oh wait, I just looked at where this topic was, and it was in tip of the month section. Oops!

Guest 2 commons

very neat idea. I used it yesterday to introduce a new fish from quarintine to one of my main tanks. I "floated" the fish in the basket and after the established fish stopped poking and exploring the new fish through the basket I released it into the tank. So far no problems of the new slightly smaller fish being harassed. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived