What's Going On Here?

Guest bman51

Guest bman51

OK, problem. My black moor has recently taken up the habit of hiding under the large rock ornament that I have in my tank (kind of like a cave). He just goes in there and kind of sits. He has never done this in the past. He will come out if you approach the tank and he seems to be eating fine. I have noticed a bit of stringy poop the last two or three days.

Stats:

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - between 5 and 10

ph - 7.2

ph out of tap - 7.0 last time I checked

tank size - 20 gallons

filter - magnum hot side canister filter

water change - usually every 2 weeks, about 25-30%

I use NovAqua to condition the water, and Stress Zyme for healthy bacteria

2 fish in the tank - the black moor (2.5 inches) and a blue scale oranda (3 inches)

I feed them Bio-blend pellet food, some TetraFin goldfish crisps sometimes, and some peas about once a week

No unusual findings. The black moor has white spots on his front fins and gills, but I was told that those were mating spots since they aren't anywhere else.+

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

you need to do more in the way of water changes. your fish may have a bacterial infection as indicated by the white stringy poo. even though the water stats say the levels are good bacteria can build up if the water isnt changed often enough. do 50% and then 30% twice a week to keep the water clean.

feed medigold if you can get it and an anti bacterial med for the water to lower the bacteria count. watch out for any fins getting red streaks and blotching on the body as this could mean septicemia.

good luck :)

Guest bman51

Thanks. I have some Melafix, I will use that for the antibacterial. I will try to find some Medigold and do a water change tomorrow.

Know that if this is a true bacterial infection - the Melafix won't help much. It's more of an antiseptic than an antibiotic & it won't kill many of the germs.

The medigold is a much better bet (&/or some tank meds) BUT I would first make sure that it wasn't a water quailty issue.

Good Luck - Hope this helps!

:D Jenn

Archived