10 Gallon Tank

akk0415

if you do, i would go for an oto-catfish. they stay about 2 inches, so they dont take up much space... plus their WAAAY cuter then most algea eaters :)

Guest IluvMyBuddy

it wouldn't be a good idea to add a catfish to your goldfish tank because of the differnt temperatures the fish need in order to survive. but i do'nt see why you can't another goldfish to your tank. two should be the limit to your 10 gal. tank unless they're really big. after that, for every goldfish you add is another 10 gal.

Hi, I have an otto cat in my tank. They can be really touchy with water temps. They usually like to be in the 80's but my tank is at 72 and if you acclimatize them slowly I think it would be okay. Right now I just have one in there with my moor and the tank is spottless.

Good Luck.... :)

:D Hi,I personally would forget about adding another Goldfish.When you see how much your Moor grows from the Clean tank/Great water Params/and good food,you will be shocked at how big he can get! Toothless has a Black Moor named Shaggy that goes about 10 inches!!!! Whoa!!!!!!!!! Now that is a big Moor! Some people may not agree with me because of tank size,but there's nothing better than a little Bristlenose.They usually max out around 5 inches or so.I have ten of them,myself,and the one thing that I like about them is the fact that they seem to grow slowly. They're the best with helping maintain a nice clean tank,and their requirements are pretty simple.Best of all,they get along fine with Goldies. :)

You guys are great at making me feel good about my choices. I was already thinking otto cat or bristlenose and maybe a trapdoor snail. :D I feel so smart. :lol: No one has mentioned snails but all were chosen for the variety of algae that they eat and the smaller size and peaceful manner. It is good to know the bristlenose grows slowly, though and I had no idea about otto cats being so touchy with temps. The good thing is my temp rarely go below 75. In fact, I have a feeling that tank will hover close to 80 this summer. Being in Texas my battle has been with keeping the tank cool.

I agree with Devs. No matter how much I want a new goldie, (And I do. I tried to get a bigger tank but hubby said no. :( )I think it would be bad in the long run, especially with a husband so against another tank. I don't want to fight with my parameters or my husband for that matter.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel much more confident now.

Guest silver360

I was told the Oto is a not an option in the Compatible Fish forum. Which is too bad, because it truely is the cutest algae eater in my opinion.

I am almost certain that would be because of water temps. My temp runs high so I am thinking it would be okay. Better for the oto cat than the goldfish anyway. My only worry is my pH runs high as well. I have never seen an oto or a bristlenose in any of the places I have been. I looked into buying online but $30 or $40 with shipping is too much. I could buy a whole used tank set up for that!

I guess I need to see if someone can order one for me.

ottos really like clean water. one of my co-workers has a pair in her coldwater tank, and they do great, but she cleans as much as i do... and she only has 1 common in a 30! (a 15 year old, 12 inch common)

just keep up the water.. (emactulant i tell you! as though nitrates and nitrites were the devil! lol) and they should do alright. I have found, if they live past the fish stores guarenty, they usually are pretty hardy! in my experiance with them.

I have two bristlenose plecos in my 55 gallon, and their so much fun, and an added plus is they keep the tank nice and clean! I also have a ramshorn snail, which adore. Their adorable.

And devs, I agree. Its amazing how big a goldie can get with the right water params and food, etc. Ive had my little oranda in my 55 G with the two fantails for not too long, and I looked today and noticed he looked alot bigger, and his wen is finally started to fill in. And last night I was saying I hadnt noticed... silly me. He looks giant compared to what he was one I get him...... Hes not my baby anymore :(

That's why I keep going back and forth. That 10 gallon looked huge when I got it and it already looks like a jail cell to me and it's only been a short while. The bristlnose concerns me because they get bigger. But I think they are cuter.

Archived