Java Fern

On Saturday, I finally bought me some Java Fern. Ive seen pictures of it online, but had never seen it in person. not many fish stores carry it! I was suprised. I finally saw some on saturday, and they didnt have much left (its the kind thats pre-packaged with the jelly stuff) I ended up buying some. I LOVE IT!!!! It looks sooo good in my tank. Im thinking of going and getting some more. Its such a beautiful color of green, and the leaves soo nice in my tank. I cant believe I didnt like this stuff before. :heart

:) I love them myself,and if you look on line,you'll find a few different sub-species that are great.Java ferns are not only great to look at,although not entirely undesired by goldfish, :rolleyes: ,it's usually one of the last ones that they'll try an eat. :lol: They grow very well when you attach them to rocks/driftwood etc.

:D Yeah it is really pretty. i cant believe i didnt like this stuff before. When i got it at the store, it looked really dark green, but now that its in my tank, its a very bright green. Today I got a few more plants (my tank is pretty heavily planted now, but the goldies love it, and I love it....) and gosh, I cant believe how good it looks. I bought this really large amazon sword, thats soooo big, that one of the leaves is poking out of the water a bit. it has some beautiful sprouts coming off of it, their so long that they reach the top of the tank and then kinda flat half way down the tank. I have another one I bought when I first started with live plants, and its sprouts are about the same. Their sooo pretty.

Also, im not sure about this one, but wanted to ask. These long sprouts that come off of them, grow leaves, and then what looks like roots off of them. Are these new plants? I touched one and it pretty much came off, and I re planted it, and its growing really well. I wasnt sure, either way, the ones that are on there are getting huge as well. Ill have to take a picture tomorrow and post it on here.

Yes, they are baby plantlets and will grow if attached to a surface in the tank. :)

Java Fern has a rhizome which should be tied to a rock or piece of wood and left expose din the water: if you bury the rhizone in the substrate it will rot. Java Fern is one of the few plants which does NOT like being planted!

It is one of my favourites too. I like 'Windelov' which has curled edges, like fancy lettuce. :)

Archived